Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for my first Quality Motorcycle leather jacket Aero,Vanson,Schott

KissMyMuscle

One of the Regulars
Hi, Guys. I am looking for a double side motorcycle jacket for casual use. I want a thick horsehide leahter jacket. But there are too many options there. Kind of confusing how to pick the right one. I am kind of liking Aero the most. But their motorcycle jackets are so simliar. Cant tell the difference.

Anyone suggestions will be really helpful .

Thanks

dinomartino1

A-List Customer
I have had m/c jackets by both brands. I have never had a vanson but the ones I have seen looked better quality than schott.
Others may disagree but I consider Schott to be a mid tier maker and aero a top tier.
Schott is a way bigger outfit and the jackets are to a degree mass produced.
Aero is a smaller operation with more attention to detail on each jacket and you can have shorter sleeves and jacket length if you want but shoulders and chest cannot be changed unless you go for a full custom jacket

STYLE: 618HH $825 overpriced [ in my opinion only others will disagree] but still a good jacket.
Aero $945 and better in every respect and the choice of way nicer looking nicer brass or nickel hardware than schotts.
If you could see both the jackets together in real life the aero would win hands down, no contest.

I think you are referring to schott perfecto horsehide brando jacket.
And this aero equivalent.
"Motorcycle Jacket"

33356b07a432e4ee_s2986-front-500.jpg

Last edited:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I agree with @dinomartino1 that Shott is not on the same level as Vanson and Aero.
I would not pay new price for a Schott when you can have a Vanson or an Aero for the same money or less and end up with a better made jacket. And i say that as someone who has 3 Schott jackets and is about to bid on a fourth one...
They are decent jackets, but not as well made as Vanson or Aero.

Now between Vanson and Aero, you IMO can't really go wrong, the question becomes are you more interested by a classic/vintage look and CXL or would you rather have something more modern/bikerey and comp weight.
IMO Vanson has an edge on patterns, they are more comfortable and offer better range of movement, they are really designed for motorcycle riding and feel amazing in that position.
Aeros IMO look like motorcycle jackets, but don't really feel as good on the body and don't offer the same range of motion.
If i had to ride in either of the brands i would pick Vanson 100% of the times.
Where Aero has the edge is the old world feel and the ability to customize your jacket to some extent. If you need long sleeves, a bottom hem taper, or have specific design ideas, it can usually be done.

If you didn't plan on riding in the jacket then there is really no right or wrong, it's a decision based on which leather and which style you prefer. Personally i prefer Vanson, they are made just as well as Aero, feel better on the body and i really like the leather they use. It's not as old school as CXL but it feels more like what i want from a classic black leather jacket.
Although saying that, it isn't horsehide. Not sure if that is a big deal for you.

Check out my Database thread, i have reviews of 3 Schott jackets, 3 Aeros and 4 Vansons in there:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/my-leather-jacket-database.93804/

Last edited:
...Schott is not always on the same level as Vanson and Aero.

Little correction. :D Agreed 100% with everything @Carlos840 said, though.

Still a good Schott can stand up to all the other guys. Just hard to track one down. But yeah, the quality between vtg Schott jackets varies so much it's insane. Hard to believe the same company made all these jackets.

But seriously though, the only two cross zip motorcycle leather jackets that I found genuinely comfortable on a bike are Vanson and Schott. The others, as cool as they look, were borderline unwearable. So sure, while lacking in some departments, Schott Perfecto is still a fantastic bike jacket in my experience and that matters. A lot.

I wouldn't get a new Schott, not for the kind of money these things cost but that's only because there are so many used jackets in all shapes, colors and sizes available on eBay.

I'm not too excited about the hide Vanson's recently been working in, too but regardless, you've no doubts you'll be getting a good jacket from them.

Dphillip

Familiar Face
I’ve owned several riding jackets and my all time favorite on and off the bike is my Schott 641 horse hide. The jacket feels like my second skin and the cafe racer style collar prevents any wind from getting inside. The horse hide was stiff and plastic looking when I first purchased but after a couple of years of wear it’s become soft, pliable and the grain is staring to show nicely. I don’t have experience with Aero or Vanson so I can’t compare brands.
2A5E0CB8-324D-42A9-8EC1-A7ABA21FF53F.jpeg

davyjones007

One of the Regulars
I have an Aero and a Vanson. The Aero is a HB in HH and the Vanson is a PLU3 from Thurston Bros in comp weight cow. The Areo HH is a little softer but great for blocking wind. The Vanson comp cow is a little stiff at first and blocks the wind as well, just not as good. With that being said, the Vanson fits me better on a variety of bikes. Yes, I wear for ridding my motorcycles. Neither have any built in protection nor pockets for it. Both can be customized. I am fairly certain TB will send you a fit jacket to start with and you can decide what needs to be done next. I did that for my Vanson and it worked out great. If you like the classic style and don't want to spend $700 USD for a jacket, look at Fox Creek Leather. They have great jackets made for ridding. I have their vest and chaps. Great leather and products.

I've been riding for several decades and agree with Carlos. Vanson is a more 'dedicated' MC jacket than the other two options. Pattern-wise it comfortably suits most riding positions. Their comp steer is also a good comfortable weight for long rides. Schott is now more often a classic style 'look' rather than anything else and Aero heavyweights can be quite restrictive on the bike with less freedom of movement.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
^yeah that’s what I’m getting and agree with most of the above sentiments. Vanson for actually on the bike. they have a heightened understanding of mobility. You could wear a brand new Vanson and roll pain on ceilings for 8 hours on day one. Aero unarguably has better finish, at the cuffs in particular. If $ is an option and you are in the US Vanson is avout 60% the cost.

I think of the options listed, the Aero will have better finishes, and the option of customization. I’d give Carrie @ Thurston Bros a ring and talk through your wishlist.
Or if you don’t need a new jacket, try the TFL classifieds! There are fantastic jackets listed daily. I really believe in buying pre-loved until you know what measurements you like.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
^yeah that’s what I’m getting and agree with most of the above sentiments. Vanson for actually on the bike. they have a heightened understanding of mobility. You could wear a brand new Vanson and roll pain on ceilings for 8 hours on day one. Aero unarguably has better finish, at the cuffs in particular. If $ is an option and you are in the US Vanson is avout 60% the cost.

Vanson are definitely cheaper in the US. Here in the UK, they're now around the same price as a Schott, too. The cost of a new Schott here, at least anywhere I've seen them, has rapidly risen since 2016 to be pretty similar to Aero. I can only assume this is the direct result of the value of the pound being historically low against the dollar over the last two or three years; I don't think it has broken USD1.30 since June 2016. Of course, for anyone working in US dollars, now is an excellent time to be buying an Aero!

Vanson are definitely a dedicated bike jacket; where for me they slip up is in not providing the armour option for their more classic jackets, so between them and Aero it really is down to personal preference on fit, comfort, et al. Schott, well.... nice classic jacket and everything. I'm happy enough with my 618, but I'm very glad I bought it used at a significant mark-down. In all honesty, Schott's standard range just feels very much over-priced to me. It's a nice enough jacket, nothing wrong with it as such, but it's just not *that* much more impressive than the no-names I bought in the past.

KissMyMuscle

One of the Regulars
I have had m/c jackets by both brands. I have never had a vanson but the ones I have seen looked better quality than schott.
Others may disagree but I consider Schott to be a mid tier maker and aero a top tier.
Schott is a way bigger outfit and the jackets are to a degree mass produced.
Aero is a smaller operation with more attention to detail on each jacket and you can have shorter sleeves and jacket length if you want but shoulders and chest cannot be changed unless you go for a full custom jacket

STYLE: 618HH $825 overpriced [ in my opinion only others will disagree] but still a good jacket.
Aero $945 and better in every respect and the choice of way nicer looking nicer brass or nickel hardware than schotts.
If you could see both the jackets together in real life the aero would win hands down, no contest.

I think you are referring to schott perfecto horsehide brando jacket.
And this aero equivalent.
"Motorcycle Jacket"

View attachment 193092
Thanks Dino, That HH motorcycle jacket is what I am looking for!

KissMyMuscle

One of the Regulars
I agree with @dinomartino1 that Shott is not on the same level as Vanson and Aero.
I would not pay new price for a Schott when you can have a Vanson or an Aero for the same money or less and end up with a better made jacket. And i say that as someone who has 3 Schott jackets and is about to bid on a fourth one...
They are decent jackets, but not as well made as Vanson or Aero.

Now between Vanson and Aero, you IMO can't really go wrong, the question becomes are you more interested by a classic/vintage look and CXL or would you rather have something more modern/bikerey and comp weight.
IMO Vanson has an edge on patterns, they are more comfortable and offer better range of movement, they are really designed for motorcycle riding and feel amazing in that position.
Aeros IMO look like motorcycle jackets, but don't really feel as good on the body and don't offer the same range of motion.
If i had to ride in either of the brands i would pick Vanson 100% of the times.
Where Aero has the edge is the old world feel and the ability to customize your jacket to some extent. If you need long sleeves, a bottom hem taper, or have specific design ideas, it can usually be done.

If you didn't plan on riding in the jacket then there is really no right or wrong, it's a decision based on which leather and which style you prefer. Personally i prefer Vanson, they are made just as well as Aero, feel better on the body and i really like the leather they use. It's not as old school as CXL but it feels more like what i want from a classic black leather jacket.
Although saying that, it isn't horsehide. Not sure if that is a big deal for you.

Check out my Database thread, i have reviews of 3 Schott jackets, 3 Aeros and 4 Vansons in there:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/my-leather-jacket-database.93804/
Hi, Carl! Thanks for your detail reply. I red a lot of your posts before. I really like your real mccoy JH-1 and Aero Daytona. I am living in Canada and US border. The Vanson will be way less money. I really like aero'ss horsehide leather. But I just dont know will it worth the extras. I never ride motorcycle. What is your opinion on aero and Vanson? Is it worth that much to get the aero?
Thanks

KissMyMuscle

One of the Regulars
I am living in Canada, but about 30 minutes driving from US boarder. I am a college student, Money is a big time for me. I wont use it as a motorcycle jacket. I dont know is aero worth to pay that much differences. I know Aero makes top tier quality jackets. But how about Vanson.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
I am living in Canada, but about 30 minutes driving from US boarder. I am a college student, Money is a big time for me. I wont use it as a motorcycle jacket. I dont know is aero worth to pay that much differences. I know Aero makes top tier quality jackets. But how about Vanson.

You can find 40 year old Vansons on ebay which have no faults whatsoever. Vansons quality is on par with any higher priced maker when it comes to longevity. Their zippers are larger than what Aero uses and they don't cause trouble unlike Aeros do every so often. The choice between the two comes down to which leather you prefer. Vanson Comp Weight is a heavy dyed through black leather. It has no accelerated aging, so it will look new black and shiny for a good while. Aeros CLX HH comes very shiny black but dulls very quickly with wear to a more matte black and will show brown hide under the black overcoat with wear, it is designed for accelerated aging to look like a vintage jacket more quickly. For an upgrade, you can also get the Aero in their lighter weight Vicenca HH which comes either dyed through or also with a brown color under a black overcoat. Vicenca is less shiny and has more pebbled grain to begin with.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Hi, Carl! Thanks for your detail reply. I red a lot of your posts before. I really like your real mccoy JH-1 and Aero Daytona. I am living in Canada and US border. The Vanson will be way less money. I really like aero'ss horsehide leather. But I just dont know will it worth the extras. I never ride motorcycle. What is your opinion on aero and Vanson? Is it worth that much to get the aero?
Thanks

You are comparing what is IMO the most comfortable patterns i own (Vanson) to the least comfortable patterns i own (Aero).
Aero are great looking jackets, but they are really behind in pattern design IMO. The weight of the jackets rest on the neck rather than the shoulders and range of movement is provided by oversized chest and arms rather than clever tweaks.

Don't get me wrong, they are very good jackets, they just can't achieve the same comfort and range of movement as Vanson does. To me the one area where they beat Vanson is the vintage look... Only you can decide which is more important to you. Leather wise, yes CXL and Comp weight/x150 are very different leathers, but i would not say one is "worth it" more than the other or better than the other.

If you are on a tight budget your best bet it probably to find a used Vanson on eBay, there are a lot to choose from and they are usually cheaper than Aeros. I bought my four Vansons used and am very happy with all of them.

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
02BC0CDB-65A7-4FAF-86E0-90A0A101B7E7.jpeg
A Vanson is a great quality, durable, hard wearing, late night having, beer spilling, rock show rocking jacket. If you are a college student in the 18-22 year range I would buy a Vanson C2. When you post an update photo of it in 20 years you’ll be the envy of the whole forum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk