Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for quality hats-6 7/8 or 7

enofile

New in Town
I am in the market for quality winter hats, 6 7/8 or preferably 7, in black, gray, charcoal etc., with a 2" or wider brim, and a shorter crown. I prefer a hat without a fold, so not necessarily what may be termed "classic fedora." Thank you.

enofile

New in Town
Open crown?
Sorry, I'm not well versed on the correct terminology. I can tell when I see it, but the particular style is not what's often favored on the Lounge. Because I am short in stature, the classic forties style doesn't always look good on me. My style is more akin to a homburg, but not necessarily a homburg. It isn't a pork pie though. Thanks. PG

Fortunately for you good vintage hats in your size are plentiful and reasonably priced. An Ebay search should turn up multiple choices. Most fedoras offer you the choice of leaving the brim up or snapping it down.

enofile

New in Town
Open crown?
Hi, I just looked at a vintage Marshall Fields hat I like. It has a fold in the back, but in the front it looks a bit like a homburg. A short crown, like on the gun club, or hunting hats, looks best on me. At Optima in Chicago, a salesperson mentioned long oval too, but that was just commentary. Thanks PG

enofile

New in Town
Fortunately for you good vintage hats in your size are plentiful and reasonably priced. An Ebay search should turn up multiple choices. Most fedoras offer you the choice of leaving the brim up or snapping it down.
I have saved a ton on Ebay, but Lounge members know quality better than I do, and I trust you guys unequivocally.

I have saved a ton on Ebay, but Lounge members know quality better than I do, and I trust you guys unequivocally.
Yes, Ebay is a bit of a mine field as many sellers are not 'hat people' and not necessarily dishonest just ignorant of hats. If you are a long oval it means the hat has specifically been blocked on a long oval block and is more likely to feel better on your head. But very few hats are marked Long Oval or Regular Oval so you takes your chances......but I have found vintage hats to be malleable enough that they will eventually conform to your head unless they are a stiff western felt.

Hi, I just looked at a vintage Marshall Fields hat I like. It has a fold in the back, but in the front it looks a bit like a homburg. A short crown, like on the gun club, or hunting hats, looks best on me. At Optima in Chicago, a salesperson mentioned long oval too, but that was just commentary. Thanks PG

I’m still not sure what you mean by a folded brim. Are you talking about the brim edge being curled? Are you talking about a flanged brim? Maybe a snap brim with the front of the brim snapped down? I can’t see anything I’d call a fold. We call the shape of the crown the crease or sometimes the bash, but that’s the crown and not the brim.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ