Looking for vintage-styled patterned sweaters for under $50

Discussion in 'General Attire & Accoutrements' started by Retro Spectator, Sep 29, 2014.

1. Retro Spectator

Retro Spectator Practically Family

I have been looking for patterned sweaters of under $50 lately, but I cannot seem to find any with the pattern on the back or the sleeves, except this one, which has a crew neck, and this one which is a vest. Do you think a thrift store may be selling a patterned sweater?

Are you supposed to wear suspenders over a sweater if it is tucked in to your pants, or do you switch to a belt?

2. Flat Foot Floey

Flat Foot Floey My Mail is Forwarded Here

The second pattern of the dockers vest looks nice. Tuck them in or wear them with a belt. Both ways are period correct. The vintage wild patterned sweater thread has enough examples, how they were worn and combined.

For your price point I would try H&M where I bough faux isle sweaters and shawl collars in both wool or cotton. They have some acrylics too which I would avoid (they make you sweat). For a higher price point (or ebay) there is Ralph Lauren and J.Crew.

3. Methuselah

Methuselah One of the Regulars

The 2nd link is much nicer - the clue is in the title for the Dockers shirt "Ugly Christmas Sweater" (I'd agree with that statement)
    Do you have TK Maxx in the US? If so, that's where I get that sort of thing. I recently got a Ralph Lauren one for £30 ($48), and other brands are £15-£25.

4. Retro Spectator

We don't have TK-Maxx, but we do have the American version, TJ-Maxx. I get my shirts there. However, I do not recall seeing any sweaters. I suppose next time I go there, I should check.

5. Fastuni

Fastuni Call Me a Cab

Never wear suspenders over a sweater.

6. Two Types

Two Types I'll Lock Up

It can work in a workwear and overtrousers style (if you like that sort of thing).

7. herringbonekid

herringbonekid I'll Lock Up

i've also seen it done well in a rugged / work context, with high-back trousers (not over-trousers).

8. Retro Spectator

I found one I like. The fourth pattern that this sweater comes in looks pretty nice in my opinion. I still cannot seem to find one in long sleeves, but that doesn't really matter.

9. Metatron

Metatron One Too Many

10. Papperskatt

Papperskatt Practically Family

Oh, that was really nice! Thank you for the tip.

11. flat-top

flat-top My Mail is Forwarded Here

H&M does currently have two pretty good looking wool crew neck Fair Isle sweaters.

12. Claudio

Claudio Vendor

lovely Fair isle! Retro S save your money and spend it on something like this rather than look for something under $50 and risk of buying ugly 'xmas sweaters'.

some ebay vests which may be of interest http://www.ebay.com/bhp/fair-isle-vest

13. DharmaBum

DharmaBum One of the Regulars

Check out this shawl collar cardigan offered by What Price Glory. Not too far above your price point at $75.00. I own one and am very pleased with the quality and fabrics.....especially given the price and unique look. I get many compliments on this sweater and it pairs well with a quality 5-dart flat cap!

http://onlinemilitaria.com/shopexd.asp?id=4992

14. Claudio

Claudio Vendor

Those are nice!

15. Rudie

Rudie Call Me a Cab

Indeed. And especially for that price!

16. Retro Spectator

I wound up buying this Dockers sweater vest in Otter. I will probably tuck it in with a belt. Although the acrylic can't breath well, I feel that that may be a blessing in disguise, since it is, after all, a vest, and the extra warmth will make up for the lack of warmth in the arms.

17. Flat Foot Floey

Flat Foot Floey My Mail is Forwarded Here

The pattern is good but 100% acrylic really doesn't have any benefits whatsoever. The h&m sweaters have better materials and aren't much more expensive. RL sweaters from ebay are even a better value.

18. Retro Spectator

My new sweater came today. However, they sent the wrong color. That doesn't really matter though, since I like this one better. I will probably buy the other color in the future though.
    [​IMG]