Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking for your input on the Akubra Cattleman

Preacher Man

A-List Customer
Hello all, it's been a good while since I've posted here, but I read here everyday and appreciate all the great info and fellowship here at the Lounge. I'm a happy owner of a Campdraft and a Fed IV, both purchased from the good folks at HatsDirect. Now I'm in the mood for an Akuba Cattleman. I've searched here and can't find any owners of the Cattleman who have pictures posted with it on the noggin. If you own one, would you tell me what you think of it and show me how it looks on you. I need to know. This is a great place, here I learned about things Akubra and was steered to the Campdraft and Fed IV. So please let me know your thoughts on their Cattleman.

Thank you all!
PreacherMan

James71

A-List Customer
Ive got about 6 or so Cattlemen. They are work issue for the dept that I work in, so I get a new one every second year.

Excellent work hat. Bound brim. No flash silk liner though. I practically live in mine when in the bush or working around the house and yard. Nice wide brim, so lots of protection. A few wears out in the rain and they get very soft, eventually getting replaced when they lose too much shape.

Here are a few shots of me wearing mine. The various cattlemen in these pics are in various states of wear. If you want closer up pics just say the word and I will take some over the weekend, but my current cattleman is pretty much at the end of its life and will be due for replacement shortly.

(Im at work at the moment - its 10 am here).

newenglad.jpg

HPIM1257.jpg

fishing.jpg

cattlemanside.jpg

Preacher Man

A-List Customer
Thanks James71

Great looking Cattleman. From your pics I see the back of the brim is turned up. On the HatsDirect website the pic shows it turned down all the way around. Did yours come with that upturn or did you do that yourself?

From what you say, it's just the hat I'm looking for.
Thanks for your reply!
Preacher Man

James71

A-List Customer
They come turned down but with a little steam you can make them swoop anyway you like. I like my bush hat to be up at the back and down at the front.

It stops the water dripping down the collar of your drizabone.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This has been my camping hat for four years. So here are a few holiday shots from a few different angles. Factory spec. I have done nothing to this hat but wear it.

Aug1.jpg

aug2.jpg

aug3.jpg

It was over 30 degrees celsius this day. Man it was hot.
aug4.jpg

Preacher Man

A-List Customer
Great looking hat Johnny! I appreciate your feedback. How was the fit when you first got it? Did it snug up to size soon? Does the Cattleman shed rain well? And by the way, that's a very cute little one you're holding there. Daughter? My wife and I just got a new granddaughter, little girls are special! Thanks for the info and pics!

Preacher Man

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you very much. The first picture she is one and the last she is three years old. :)

the hat fits like all my other Akubras and with time and sweat the sweat band will shrink down to size. You can speed this along with water as well.

Hope that helps

Johnny

Oh and I bought it off e-bay for $50 Canadian, shipped. Some guy got it on vacation and never wore it again. So it was like brand new. If you keep your eyes open you can find some nice deals. If you want to spend the time. [huh]

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I've got one in the Sand color, it's my summer hiking hat. Fantastically indestructible, it shrugs off sweat, dirt, branch scratches, rain, etc. The light color and ventilation holes make it no hotter than a straw hat. Like my other Akubras, I ordered my standard size and it was a little big at first, but quickly conformed to a perfect fit. It was still new in the picture, but it's now three years later, and it looks virtually the same.

CATLMN1.JPG

It's an outstanding country hat, though a bit too large to comfortably wear in NYC without feeling like a cowboy. (That's why I have a Stylemaster and Fed III!)

Panda Moanium

New in Town
Was in Dusseldorf, Germany yesterday at a trade show when I spotted a stand selling Australian gear including Akubra hats. Among which was a Cattleman which I had been thinking of getting. Thing was although I'm a size 58 I found it much too big - much bigger than my Banjo Paterson was when I got it first. They didn't have a smaller size to try so I left it. Pity because otherwise I really liked it.

They had another Akubra there called the Outback which I haven't come across anywhere else. Smaller brim, not disimilar to the Banjo. The size 58 in this was a much better fit. Was going to buy it until I heard the price - €169 - about twice what it would cost to buy a similar imperial quality felt hat online. :eek:

Ended up buying a squashy roo Barmah hat instead. Not stylish, but ideal for throwing in a bag for travelling. Apologies for going off topic.

Preacher Man

A-List Customer
I pulled the trigger and ordered my Cattleman yesterday from Hatsdirect. My Campdraft is a 62, my Fed IV is a 63. Both were a little big at first, the Fed IV looser that the Campdraft, but both fit great now. Jenny said she'd send me one that measured a 62.5 due to my noggin being a 7 3/4 LO. I ordered the Bran color. I thank all my fellow Loungers for your replies. Dr. Strange that's great looking Cattleman too! I like the light color. I was afraid it would show too much dirt, but yours looks fantastic. They told me it would be here in southern KY, USA in 6 - 9 days. I'm looking forward to it already! Hopefully I can figure out how to post some pics of it when it arrives.
Thanks to all;
Preacher Man.

Kid Mac

Practically Family
The Cattleman is a great choice. I've been wearing mine for eight years, when I'm not wearing a Fed I or Campdraft. It just gets better with wear. The rain just softens it up.

Cheers,

Mac

Eliesti

A-List Customer
This has been my camping hat for four years. So here are a few holiday shots from a few different angles. Factory spec. I have done nothing to this hat but wear it.

Aug1.jpg

aug2.jpg

aug3.jpg

It was over 30 degrees celsius this day. Man it was hot.
aug4.jpg
This is a good-looking hat. Is this a Cattleman in the bran color?

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Hello all, it's been a good while since I've posted here, but I read here everyday and appreciate all the great info and fellowship here at the Lounge. I'm a happy owner of a Campdraft and a Fed IV, both purchased from the good folks at HatsDirect. Now I'm in the mood for an Akuba Cattleman. I've searched here and can't find any owners of the Cattleman who have pictures posted with it on the noggin. If you own one, would you tell me what you think of it and show me how it looks on you. I need to know. This is a great place, here I learned about things Akubra and was steered to the Campdraft and Fed IV. So please let me know your thoughts on their Cattleman.

Thank you all!
PreacherMan

Here just one link http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/what-hat-are-you-wearing-today.19520/page-3407#post-1792159 casechopper has several posts wearing his , then Bob has two http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/akubra-advice.85790/page-3#post-2073215 , and This one in Sand http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/akubra-advice.85790/page-3#post-2073052 . I just looked , This is an Old Thread ! Oh well , it's here , somebody can look .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana