Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Looking to buy two hats

DrInfested

New in Town
Hello everyone! I currently own a cheap little $30 brown fedora, and while it's a good hat for dirty and outside work, I want to kind of upgrade to something a bit more special. I want to buy a nice grey hat to wear with my suit for church and special occasions, and a strong hat to wear for outside work and construction.

I was looking at Stetson hats at millerhats.com and other places, but I then found Akubra hats, and I really loved the way they looked. I know that Stetson used to be a prime maker of fedora hats in the past, but I've heard their quality has dropped (don't know if that's true or not). Akubra hats do seem cheaper in price, but they look very well made overall.

I have a budget of about $150 max for the dress hat, and $100 max for the work hat. Stetsons seem to average about $150 for nice dress hats, but Akubra hats hover closer to $100 for dress type hats, and even cheaper for casual and other types.

For the dress hat, I found 3 that I really like that all seem to offer gray as a color option:

http://everythingaustralian.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=1022
http://everythingaustralian.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=535
http://everythingaustralian.com.au/shopexd.asp?id=534

I should have gotten to this sooner, as all these hats seem to have a three month wait, but I can wait for quality if I have to. I can't seem to find out what sort of material they are made of, but the most common type for fedoras seems to be fur-felt, or maybe I'm wrong about that. :eusa_doh:

Also, the price is in Australian dollars, but I did a conversion and $100 AU is about $98 USD, so that should be fine. I have no idea how their sizing works though, and for a 3 month wait, it would be terrible if I got it wrong. What's the best way to ensure a correct size?

As for the work hat, Akubra has a ton of rugged looking ones, but I heard somebody say rabbit material is best, so which would that be?

http://everythingaustralian.com.au/displayproduct.asp?id=2&cat=Akubra+Hats

Thanks in advance!

I have a Squatter in Carbon Grey, a Campdraft in Glen Grey & a Federation IV in Moonstone Grey. I like the Moonstone the best, followed by the Glen Grey, then the Carbon Grey. That is also the grade from lite to dark.
As far as sizing goes, measure your head with a tape measure a couple of times. It is best to get somebody else to do it if you can. Go to the Sizing page off EA's website & scroll down to the hat size conversion chart. For my 24"/61cm noggin, it is spot on. HTH & Welcome to the Lounge.

theinterchange

One Too Many
Firstly, WELCOME to the Lounge!

You're on the right track in considering Akubra. I own two at present, but have owned 6-7 total over the last few years. [With plans to buy several more in the very near future]

Fur felt is unless stated otherwise, rabbit. There are many other furs used for felt from beaver to buffalo. [I've heard that Stetson's buffalo hats are pretty nice] And yes, all better quality hats are made with fur felt.

Akubra's Imperial felt is made with rabbit, while their Heritage is a mix of rabbit and wild hare. All the hats you have highlighted are of the Imperial quality, which all but one of their hats I've owned have been... Heritage is pricier, and the main difference to me is they have a wider, softer sweatband. There's not a large difference in feel, so it's questionable if they're worth paying more for.

Of the hats you've suggested, I prefer the Stylemaster and Fedora most.

In terms of sizing, the best way to get a sure fit is have someone measure your head with a cloth tape above the ears and eyebrows at the angle you prefer wearing a hat, not at dead level across your head. I'd suggest you contact the vendor, give them your measurements, and they will guide you to the proper sizing. [remember they do it for a living!]

I would also suggest you take a look at other Akubra vendors, the hats you've mentioned can be had quicker. The folks I've dealt with most are Hats Direct you may pay a tad more, but since they have a larger stock, you get them quicker. Also, if you're interested in the "Fedora" style, you could take a look at David Morgan The hat I've linked you to is the same hat with a different name and no feather, and is a Stateside vendor.

I'd continue but I have to go drop someone off at the airport and need to leave. I know you'll get plenty of other feedback from members.

Again, Welcome!

Randy

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
So you need a dress hat and a work hat......how about both in one? I think you'll find that the vintage Stetson Open Roads and the modern Akubra Camp Drafts may suit all your needs.

However, note that right now the Australian $$ is nearly equal in value to the US $$, so you won't be getting as nice a deal as we usually get (great for Oz, but for US lol).

Special Advice The Akubra Fedora can also be found at HatsDirect.com and DavidMorgan.com (although at DavidMorgan they call it the Sydney). Also note that the Akubra Stylemaster can also be found at HatsDirect.com and DavidMorgan.com.

The Akubra Bogart can also be found at HatsDirect.com.

Note that I am a die-hard Akubra Fan, and I only started wearing hats this summer lol.

Neophyte

Oh yeah, and be aware that head shape counts just as much as circumference.

For instance, I myself own an Akubra Fedora in Carbon Grey, purchased from HatsDirect. It's not the best-fitting of my hats, I have a Long Oval head shape and the crown on the Fedora is quite round.

Edward

Bartender
Can't go wrong with an Akubra. Aside from picking up vintage bargains, or something custom or with a spec they just don't do, I feel no need to look to another brand. Great stuff. I can highly recommend Hats Direct for service, also, there's the not inconsequential matter of them being the exclusive source for the Akubra Federation, by far my favourite off the peg fedora currently in production.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Highly recomend two Akubra's...

... if you want a wider brimmed hat go with the Squatter ( 3" brim) as it comes in a nice light grey (moonstone) or a nice mid-brown ( Fawn) and is an open crown which allows YOU to crease as you like. Next for a smaller brimmed model ( 2 1/2") I'd go with the Stylemaster in the grey . It's pre-creased in a nice pinched telescope crease. I have both and got mine from David Morgan in WA. Both come in at your budget as well.

DrInfested

New in Town
Many many thanks for all the fast and very helpful replies everyone! I didn't expect this kind of response. :)

I will check out those other websites asap.

Neophyte said:
So you need a dress hat and a work hat......how about both in one? I think you'll find that the vintage Stetson Open Roads and the modern Akubra Camp Drafts may suit all your needs.

However, note that right now the Australian $$ is nearly equal in value to the US $$, so you won't be getting as nice a deal as we usually get (great for Oz, but for US lol).

Special Advice The Akubra Fedora can also be found at HatsDirect.com and DavidMorgan.com (although at DavidMorgan they call it the Sydney). Also note that the Akubra Stylemaster can also be found at HatsDirect.com and DavidMorgan.com.

The Akubra Bogart can also be found at HatsDirect.com.

Note that I am a die-hard Akubra Fan, and I only started wearing hats this summer lol.

Thank you and the others for the website suggestions. The reason I want two hats is that I need a gray for my dress hat (black, charcoal suits), but I would like a brown for my work hat as that will match my work coat, and also not show saw dust, dirt, and other things as easily. My cheap brown hat is pretty good about that.

Btw, my name is also Alexander. Just thought I'd say that. :p

laotou

One of the Regulars
"Looking to buy two hats"
Yep, that's how it starts.
I can't advise on the Akubra's, don't have one.....yet.
I can tell you to make space for hat storage.
Two more won't be enough.
Welcome to the madness!:D

EggHead

Practically Family
The most important thing is fitting the size of your head to size of the hat. I was lucky in that I tried an Akubra hat before I bought one and it turned out that my own tape measurement didn't match Akubra size. I measured my head at 60cm, but Akubra (Fedora/Sydney) that fits me well is 59cm. And a Stetson Weekender is 58cm (7 1/4).

If you buy from David Morgan, he included felt strips with each Akubra, which help reduce the size. Mine (59cm) was about a half a size large and I used one strip for a while, but after a several steam jobs and water sprays, it fits me exactly.

Go to a store in your area that sells hats (if you have one) and try some hats to get a general feeling if what fits you best.
I would suggest ordering from a place where you can return if size does not fit.

Tapering is also important, Akubra and Stetsons don't have much, but some British hats do, then you may need 1 size bigger.

The thing about color. You can't trust those internet pictures and the colors have weird names, I wish they would just simply state - light gray, mid-gray, dark gray to get a perspective. I have Akubra Sydney which I thought was dark gray, but it's pretty much black.

Mav

A-List Customer
Two Akubras is a great idea. I've pretty much eliminated some crappy stuff I had and rely on a Campdraft for outdoor work/casual/ camping, and a Stylemaster for business. Both would fit within your budget, with shipping, but you'd best hurry- the AUD is getting closer to parity with the USD, quickly. The shipping will be a killer when that happens.
Oh, and I'm convinced Akubra is just about the best hat out there.

DrInfested

New in Town
I've never actually measured my head size. The first hat I bought was based on feel not numbers, and it's just a size "L" so no help there. :p

The Stylemaster is indeed a gorgeous hat btw, perfect shade of gray, and great shape.

I will get someone to measure my head, and post the numbers. I heard you have to measure around the head just above the ears, is that right?

Rick Blaine

Worth a re-post

ff1.jpg

ff2.jpg

ff3.jpg

ff4.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points