Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost Horizon (1937)

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16736

I saw Frank Capra's "Lost Horizon" again last night, based on the novel by James Hilton about the mythical Tibetan community of Shangri-La. For the first time, I really noticed the wardrobe the main characters wear after coming to Shangri-La. I don't know what it's called, but the actors are wearing some kind of Nehru jackets made of silk. Of course, they wouldn't have been called Nehru jackets because Nehru hadn't come to power in India yet. Anyway, they're gorgeous. If anybody can shed some light on these beautiful jackets, please chime in.

Attachments

• -21.jpeg
    -21.jpeg
    272.2 KB · Views: 391
  • -23.jpeg
    -23.jpeg
    28.5 KB · Views: 226
  • -24.jpeg
    -24.jpeg
    82.4 KB · Views: 265
  • -25.jpeg
    -25.jpeg
    78.1 KB · Views: 197
  • -26.jpeg
    -26.jpeg
    88.9 KB · Views: 638
  • -27.jpeg
    -27.jpeg
    44.7 KB · Views: 176
  • -1.png
    -1.png
    406.2 KB · Views: 196
  • -28.jpeg
    -28.jpeg
    85.2 KB · Views: 213
  • -29.jpeg
    -29.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 181

3fingers

One Too Many
I'm not familiar with the movie, but Nehru didn't invent or wear the jacket he is famous for. His name was just somehow used to popularize it.

D

Deleted member 16736

And this is off-topic, but Jane Wyatt is a knockout. Father knew best when he married her.

And this is off-topic, but Jane Wyatt is a knockout. Father knew best when he married her.

Having grown up knowing her from "Father Knows Best" reruns - she looks incredibly young in this movie.

And an awesome movie and book.

No greater jarring moment of "seeing them when they were young" for me, though, was when I saw Barbara Stanwyck - the silver-haired matriarch from "The Big Valley -" show up as a young woman in movies from the '30s. You had no doubt it was her (back in the day when if you missed the credits, you had to guess at who was in the movie) as she looked the same her entire adult life (just computer aged over time).

D

Deleted member 16736

I was curious who was in charge of wardrobes for Lost Horizon and discovered it was none other than Ernest Dryden, the famous Viennese commercial artist and art student of Gustav Klimt. I'd be lying if I told you I had any idea who Ernst Dryden was before I looked him up, but apparently, he was a big deal. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0238705/

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab

"There are those who have accused me of preferring human women over Vulcan. Their objections are not logical. Any intelligent male being who looks at Amanda will understand."
-- Sarek, Ambassador, Vulcan

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk