Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost Worlds owners leather question

markh

New in Town
Hello,I am seriously thinking of pulling the trigger on a Lost Worlds Suburban black horsehide jacket. Is the quality as good as I have been reading? I really like the style and won't mind the break in process. I have always had mall leather jackets and since I have sold a few knives I am ready for the big leagues but don't want to wait a couple months on something like an Aero. I called today and was told it would take about a month for delivery. Thanks, Mark

Laurence5445

New in Town
Anj4 / m-444 / m445

I'm also thinking of ordering a Lost Worlds ANJ-4, a RMNZ M-445 and Flight Jackets.com M-444. I own an original Aero M-444 in good wearable condition but it's time to put it away. The flight jackets.com folks will copy my jacket. Any thoughts on quality, originality etc?

Jwag

One of the Regulars
Yes the hide quality is top notch. I have one of their horsehide jackets. I have had mine since November, and it is just starting to get broken in. It can still stand up on its own. Also, the stitching is great too, with no give at all when you tug at the seams.

markh

New in Town
What weight horsehide did you get?
Yes the hide quality is top notch. I have one of their horsehide jackets. I have had mine since November, and it is just starting to get broken in. It can still stand up on its own. Also, the stitching is great too, with no give at all when you tug at the seams.

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
What weight horsehide did you get?

I bought one of the Lost Worlds Ryders off the sale page. It is made of a lighter than normal LW horsehide (3 oz?). It is very beefy and seems as thick as my Aero HH jacket. It does take a while to break in (I have a ways to go) and easily stands up on it's own. I really can't imagine the thickness of the regular 4-oz HH that LW uses. LW makes an incredible jacket.

Antony Wood

New in Town
Hello,

I have a Lost Worlds A2 and a Suburban, both heavy 4+ oz horsehide. All I can say is that they are AWESOME! The hide is incredible, and only gets better with age. The Suburban is my favorite, absolutely stunning to the eye and to the touch. If you don't mind the break in process it'll be the best jacket you ever buy quality-wise. I'm sure there are other great jackets out there by other makers, but ever since I got my Lost Worlds jackets I'm hooked. Strongly recommend getting one!

Cheers, Antony

One of the Regulars
Hello,I am seriously thinking of pulling the trigger on a Lost Worlds Suburban black horsehide jacket. Is the quality as good as I have been reading? I really like the style and won't mind the break in process. I have always had mall leather jackets and since I have sold a few knives I am ready for the big leagues but don't want to wait a couple months on something like an Aero. I called today and was told it would take about a month for delivery. Thanks, Mark

Absolutely the best!!, absolutely the best!!!
I own horsehide jackets by LW 3 OZ (Ryder, 3.5 OZ ( PJ27 and Trojan) 4. OZ ( J23) and 4.5 OZ ( Buco Rider), and they are the best you can't find anywhere, not only on their hide , but stitching, workmanship, lining, zippers, fitting, etc,etc.
I have a Suburban in Goatskin and is a superb jacket as well.
Check my threads witch shows few of the aforementioned jackets and you will see it for yourself.
Enjoy it!

dash69

Familiar Face
My lost worlds suburban is the best jacket i've owned to date....i do own a couple of other nice jacket's,fox creek,vanson,and i'm waiting on a couple of aero's.Nice jacket's,worth the money but not as well made as LW'S FQHH.If you buy the suburban first,you'll have a tough time topping that jacket...go for it.

apba1166

A-List Customer
I have a shortened Downtown in black goat and a Rigger in brown deerskin....both the goat and the deer hides are better than others I've owned, and the jackets fit well and are well made. Worth it.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
I have a shortened Downtown in black goat and a Rigger in brown deerskin....both the goat and the deer hides are better than others I've owned, and the jackets fit well and are well made. Worth it.

Hi apba,
Just wondering, why did you shorten the Downtown? (I lengthened my Barnstormer - I often find 3/4 length jackets just a little short: I prefer them to fully cover my posterior and then some.)

I don't own one, but I bought one for my son last summer. It is an amazing jacket. All makers have a certain look to me. LW is no exception. The quality is there. It's a solid jacket that will last a lifetime. If you like it, and have the funds, no reason not to go for it.

Lando

Practically Family
Got an A2, G1, Mooshide G1 and a Blue Midweight HH Easy Ryder from Lost Worlds. I own jackets from other companies and I would never say any one company is the best. Every company has its strengths and weaknesses. Lost Worlds jackets have highly skilled construction, a solid feel, excellent materials and a good cut. I have no regrets about any Lost Worlds jackets I have bought and would buy from them again. My communications with Lost Worlds have always been sparse and to the point, and my jackets have always arrived in about a month. Plus, I live in the tri-state area and like to throw my money back into the area. That's just a plus for me. I haven't seen anyone else with that blue-green moosehide Lost Worlds has though, and that is a fine hide. Consider it if you plan to do business with them because its got the weight of HH but the softness of Goatskin.

Jules

New in Town
Out of all the repro A2's I have tried/owned I like my LW A2 the most dont know why but i do but...... I prefer my Aero jackets but mainly because Aero make more styles I prefer. From a quality standpoint there is nothing in it both exceptionally well made and both using top notch material and components. The leather form LW has a heavier finish to it ,when new it looks very smooth/grainless but give it a few weeks of wear and it starts to develop a really nice grain.
One other thing LW construction is flawless ,stitching is perfect nothing crooked buttons nicely sewn on no loose threads etc.
Aero you get the odd loose thread and the odd crooked stitch line but really i think it suits the style of jackets i bought .
At the end of the day you could flip a coin to decide for you !

I have some cheap(er) beater jackets from lesser makers that use assembly lines. In fact, some of the stitching on those IS "better" than the more expensive GW, Aero, etc. But I'm good with that - it's that way 'cause some human made them, not just a line of machines. Perfection has it's place, but to me, a jacket should also have some character. Just my 2¢

flaminggroovy

New in Town
same with me....I own a downtown carcoat and a suburban black HH ...for 15 years already and enjoy everytime I wear one of them. Best HH so far...
I also have a HH halfbelt (black) from another maker (prefer not to mention the name)..it's of good quality as well. But I stick to LW.
Thinking about LW Ryder jacket..but it looks abit shorter then the halfbelt that I have.
Wonder if mr Stuart could make it 2 inches longer....gotta ask him.

erikb02809

One of the Regulars
I received a LW Trojan in 3.5 oz black horsehide in October. Hands down the nicest jacket I've ever owned, or even handled for that matter. The leather, the stitching...EVERYTHING is perfect on it.

The jacket was a little stiff out of the box, but that's to be expected with a heavier weight horsehide jacket. Totally worth the effort to break it in, and totally worth the price. Over the years, I'd bought a number of other manufacturers' MC jackets for 2/3 to 3/4 the price, but with LW, you get what you pay for and then some. It's easily twice the quality (if not more) of jackets that cost only a couple hundred bucks less.

Philalethes

A-List Customer
I found this the other night, and I think I'm in love. (Original listing here - still for sale...)

It's the Bedford Car Coat, though it is not identified as such. Personally, I think LW's needs to add some better pictures to their website. Frequently I find that their own photos do not do their coats justice. When I first saw this coat (via LW's site), my wife described it as "Poindexterish" (i.e. something a non-fashion-conscious nerd would wear), and I kind of agreed. However, I believe that the customer photos show it to be really rather sharp. I wouldn't mind one in black, since I don't have any black leather jackets...

I better start saving now.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ