Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lost Worlds

GregO

One of the Regulars
So what is the deal with Lost Worlds these days? I know that the guy who runs the joint (is his name Stu?) is somewhat of a -- shall we say, interesting character. I've gone through his rants on his site, and read a bunch of stuff posted around here, and it is a bit offputting, especially if one is considering a purchase. But I have not seen much posted about the company in the last couple of years. Has customer service improved? Is the guy still a nut?

All I know is this....that Buco Rider repro he has on his site is the tits. I just saw one in person the other day. I was impressed, and I'm not easily impressed. The LW Rider seems somewhat unique in the cafe world. I just pulled the trigger on a new flight jacket, but I may have to pull a two-fer, depending on what you all say.

So what is the verdict with Lost Worlds these days?

Stormpaw

New in Town
I recently purchased an ANJ-4 jacket from Lost Worlds. I have absolutely no complaints. The jacket is excellent and actually arrived sooner than expected. Communication was quick and straightforward.

I hope that helps.
Stormpaw

rmconner80

Familiar Face
I read the backstory here too. That said, you can't get LW stuff any where else.

I have a Raider and I love it but acquired it second hand. I thought it was a size too small so I figured I'd get one a size up. I was a bit apprehensive but called up LW and placed an order. I had no surprises, no drama, no nothing. Just told him I wanted a new one in the right size. He helped me size it. I placed the order.

Over the next few days I came to realize I didn't need a size up. Stu's original sizing advice with this jacket gave me a fresh perspective and made me realize the size I had could not be beat. So I slept on it and a couple days later I called back and asked if I could change my order to a different HH jacket instead. Since production had not started on my original order, to my surprise, Stuart was more than accomodating to re-open and completely change my order. We spent about 10 minutes determining first what size, then which model to settle on based on fit in the body (it was between two jackets), then what color and hide, choice of lining, and what zippers (nickel or brass) (note: not all jackets have choice of lining or hardware). Again, nothing but a helpful straightforward phone call.

I play guitar, so does he, we exchanged a few words about that.

There is a guy in the guitar world down here in Annapolis MD named Steve who runs a similar shop for guitar and amp / tube HI FI parts, also focused on the vintage and the reproduction. He sounds like Stu's twin (steve? stu? coincidence???). Steve's website contains colorful and interesting commentaries, although unfortunately it has been really cleaned up these past few years. He is fairly well known and is likened to the soup nazi. He has eccentric rules, you can't change your order under any cicumstances, etc. If you try you get yelled at (I know from personal experience). That said, he has excellent stuff, good prices, and pretty much ships to me in one day. He's been in the game forever. I have no problem with doing business with the guy. I actually appreciate this type of communication - straight to the point, but maybe that's an east coast thing (or maybe I am a nut too).

There are other companies that take a completely different approach. If you want that type of personalized approach, or you want to customize your jacket, or explore the possibilities before making up your mind about what you want, you'll probably be far happier with them. LW will customize a jacket but they advise against it - not because they don't want to do it, but because they don't accept returns on any customized jacket, which given the price is a huge risk for the buyer.

Just my one experience with Lost Worlds.

hpalapdog

One of the Regulars
As long as you don't mention the word Eastman, dealing with Stuart Clurman is straightforward.

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
I had been eying the HH vest on his sale page thinking they looked very nice for $75. I ordered a large black three snap thinking if it fit I would order a brown. It arrived with the back pleats undone and then a snap broke. There are no returns on sale items, but I sent him a pic and he said it was not correct. I sent it back ordered a russet he fixed the other one and sold it to me half price. These are very nice HH vest. I wrote him this week asking about the 5 snap and got a package deal on all 6 larges he had. They come today. I think his Test jacket is the nicest jacket out there and I will get one. Does anyone own a Test jacket? All my communication was email and his responses are economical.

Terry

GregO

One of the Regulars
I read the backstory here too. That said, you can't get LW stuff any where else.

Actually I saw the jacket at Union Garage in Brooklyn the other day, so there is at least one retailer who carries their stuff. I need extra length in the sleeves, so I didn't walk out with the jacket, but it was cool to see a boutique maker's jackets in stock at a retailer.

HDRnR

A-List Customer
He makes amazing stuff but he pissed me off once and i never dealt with him again. I'm sure eventually I'll buy from him again once I clear some stuff out. Imo Lost Worlds and Langlitz are the top of the heap.

zebedee

One Too Many
Incredible jackets, but with descriptions on website that come across as- somewhat ironically- prissy. They have a pretense all their own which I haven't seen the like of before. The product, however, is great, and should speak for itself without the man chucking biscotti around.

nabottle

A-List Customer
I think Stuart is a very professional guy to deal with. The Peacoat I bought fro Lost Worlds is as perfect as I'd hoped. As far as his attitude goes, I find it refreshing to see someone who doesn't care about being politically correct and kissing ass. I'm a 100% satisfied customer.

ykurtz

One of the Regulars
I think Stuart is a very professional guy to deal with. The Peacoat I bought fro Lost Worlds is as perfect as I'd hoped. As far as his attitude goes, I find it refreshing to see someone who doesn't care about being politically correct and kissing ass. I'm a 100% satisfied customer.

LW has strong opinions about its product and I for one enjoy seeing it in action. Reminds me of Breaking Bad and the quality of the 'blue.' (Although I can't picture LW building jackets in a RV.) You might think Heisenberg was an a&&, but his product was the best...and that was the message. Anyway, I digress....

thor

One Too Many
Over the years I've purchased 4-5 LW jackets, always directly from Stu. No drama; very professional. GREAT jackets!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The 'I take no crap' attitude may make sure that you get minimum amount of hassle when people are dealing with you, but I'm not sure it maximises your return custom. Storses for courses, I suppose, but as I've said before, I've considered buying stuff off LW's sale page in the past but was put off by the websites. I can only imagine that there is a niche that find this attitude attractive, but I doubt if Stu was to remove the polemic from the site, and this is the acid test, he would see a drop in sales.

zebedee

One Too Many
I find the products and workmanship look outstanding, but cannot quite bring myself to buy from a company that puts that much (unintentionally) camp 'Grrrrr!' into product description. I dig the phrase 'blog queens' though. It's genius. I recommend both Aero and LW to friends, and people definitely see the incredible quality on display.

2wheelgrplr

A-List Customer
Actually I saw the jacket at Union Garage in Brooklyn the other day, so there is at least one retailer who carries their stuff. I need extra length in the sleeves, so I didn't walk out with the jacket, but it was cool to see a boutique maker's jackets in stock at a retailer.

I bought my Lost Worlds Buco Rider from Union Garage NYC, Brooklyn, and thus haven't had the experience of dealing with Stuart in person. I really like the jacket, it's the bomb! Might get another Lost Worlds jacket in the near future.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko