Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Love Children! Scam!

Foofoogal

Banned
I now need to buy about $45.00 worth of magazines i swore i would never buy again yesterday to get my grandaughter a $5.00 Garfield glow in the dark tshirt. She is selling them at school.
Anyone else get scammed by those $15.00 candles you can get elsewhere for $2.00?lol

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
I have an idea what you're talking about, but the stuff I buy tends to be stuff you can't find so easily elsewhere. The last one I bought from put the money towards an educational trip, rather than t-shirts though...

Josephine

One Too Many
Oh Lordy, yes. I have three girls and they all are doing Sally Foster. Then one is in Orchestra, and also Girl Scouts (at least the cookies are good), but there are so many fund raisers... often times I will just write the school a check for an amount, that way they get some money and I don't have to deal with junk I don't want.

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
Golly I remember those things. My parents put the rule in that they would buy one thing and they picked it out first and if I didn't sell enough things to get what I wanted I was out of luck. Harsh but great life learning experience.

sweetfrancaise

Practically Family
Well, coming from the side of an ex-Girl Scout, sure, I know what you mean! I buy a box from those girls every time I see them outside the grocery store--too expensive for so few cookies! I don't buy anything from the neighborhood kids, though, if I can avoid it. They're impolite brats.

...was that mean? :eek:

pretty faythe

One Too Many
yup.....my oldest is going to be fundraising all year to fund her trip to Hawaii with her H.S. Choir. I need to buy something from my youngest fundraiser so she can get what ever the little gift thing is. I thing it might be a flashlight. ARG.
I told my oldest I'd take her to the union hall before union meetings, nothing like a bunch of drunk electricians to buy things....lol.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Miss Neecerie said:
See...I came to this thread thinking there was something golden era about it...

Love child of stars.....some scandal..previously unpublished....

only to find griping about fundraising.:rolleyes:

*sighs*

Actually, I've been wondering about that. As a relatively new person, I see non 1920-1950 threads and related items abound around the Lounge. Thoughts as a Bartender?

VB

Vintage Betty

Miss Neecerie said:
Well in the Obs bar...much like a real bar, its people talking about things, so almost anything (except politics) is game.

I just really wanted to hear about the Love Children scam... ;)

Ok thanks.

And I'll see if I can find some children I love to scam you. :eusa_doh:

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Vintage Betty said:
Ok thanks.

And I'll see if I can find some children I love to scam you. :eusa_doh:

my vivid imaginiation had love-children of some star....scamming their famous parent out of money...:p

That said, like a real life bar...sometimes you don't -talk- about everything...you know? Some things are for closer friends and not for the guy two barstools down to overhear. lol

Unless its just a good drink recipe...then its fair game.

dostacos

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
my vivid imaginiation had love-children of some star....scamming their famous parent out of money...:p

That said, like a real life bar...sometimes you don't -talk- about everything...you know? Some things are for closer friends and not for the guy two :deadhorse :deadhorse barstools down to overhear. lol

Unless its just a good drink recipe...then its fair game.
we could talk about Britney and Federline......nah :deadhorse

Twitch

When my kids were doing money raising it was simply $1 candy bars. Mmm!

Then it got into all sorts of esoteric crapola to where the kids were hauling boxes of assorted junk up to your doorstep. I'm sure them must have been over-priced candles in there. I finally put an end to it when they finally got so outrageously expensive on candy that it was a travesty of selling.

Then they began the selling of newspaper subscriptions to fund their stuff. I have had a subscription for decades. They now simply degenerate into beggars asking for any loose change.

The people organizing this so-called fund raising for school kids are the problem. They've run amuck and perverted a simple, clean deal into kid scams with kids playing the huckster role.:mad:

RedHotRidinHood

Practically Family
Being the frugal (and poverty-stricken!) soul that I am, I almost never buy anything from the fundraisers anymore. When my daughter was doing it a number of years ago, it was cheaper and I could help a little, but anymore, the stuff is just too expensive for what you get. My soon to be stepdaughter gets these ideas that she is going to get all the prizes by selling tons of stuff, and she never does. You have to know a million people with money in order to pull it off. It has always annoyed me that the schools make kids hustle stuff...I don't even bother with it anymore.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Funny you should mention

There are two little catalogs from a co-worker sitting here on my desk as I type. MOST annoying. (Actually, a most annoying co-worker, too. But that's another story.) This has really gotten out of hand the last few years. One reason, which really angers me, is that school boards are trying to cut costs by "privatising" activities that should be supported by the school, like sports, music, etc. These things should be part of the curriculum. These companies have found themselves a nice little racket. They sell junk at triple the regular price, and most of that excess profit goes to the company, not the kids. A dirty, raw, corrupt practice. I'm not buying this year.
Yes, not a vintage topic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch