Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lovers on-screen, loathers off?

Simon82

One of the Regulars
Of course, we've heard of the screen pairs who romanced each other on and off the screen, a la Bogart and Bacall, Tracy and Hepburn, etc.

But does anybody know of a long-time (more than one film) pair that showed great chemistry when the camera rolled but hated each other in real life?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I don't know about long-term pairs, but the story goes that Clark Gable hated being "sung at" by Jeanette McDonald and just didn't like her. It was San Fancisco.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
"Have you ever made angry love?"

"Is there any other kind?"

-War of the Roses

Mutual loathing has a chemistry all its own. :D

Kent Allard

New in Town
I seem to remember hearing that Olivia De Havilland and Errol Flynn didn't get along too well on the set of "The Adventures of Robin Hood".

Novella

Practically Family
Kent Allard said:
I seem to remember hearing that Olivia De Havilland and Errol Flynn didn't get along too well on the set of "The Adventures of Robin Hood".

I always thought that they got along fine - they did quite a few movies together after that one. Now Bette Davis and Errol Flynn in "The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex", there's an on screen couple with off screen dislike that I've heard plenty about.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21