Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lucite purses

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
The last bag in the slideshow is almost exactly like the one that Shearer posted a pic of in the show us your favorite items thread!

Shearer

Practically Family
Yes, it was!

Thanks for posting that, imoldfashioned... I never get tired of looking at Lucite.

Ahhh, the Plastic Age ;)

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I'm glad you girls enjoyed this link--I thought of Shearer's gorgeous purse too!

How are those prices? About what one would expect or a bit higher? Anyone know?

Shearer

Practically Family
imoldfashioned said:
I'm glad you girls enjoyed this link--I thought of Shearer's gorgeous purse too!

How are those prices? About what one would expect or a bit higher? Anyone know?

They seem about right. Rarer colours, or styles (like the glitter confetti purses) will always go for more money. Some of the time you pay for the name of more well known Lucite purses or for oddly shaped purses. And since they are hard to find in pristine shape, you can easily get into bidding wars on auction sites!

The red one I have, very similar to the last picture in the slideshow is Feiner, Fith Ave., over $200. I have a grey Lucite with metal accents by Wilardy, that was over $200. Sometimes you get lucky, though... I have a Dorset Rex with leather weaving that I found for around $50, and a peach Wilardy lunchbox purse that was around $50 as well.

DimeADanceQueen

Familiar Face
New Lucite

I've been drooling over these on MyBabyJo.
I've got one lucite bag, black with a white lid. I'm terrified to carry it because I'm always scared it will get broken. These seem to be a good alternative.

lyburnum

Practically Family
A lucite purse is something I'd really like to save up for and get one day. It think they're obscenely beautiful.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
DimeADanceQueen said:
I've got one lucite bag, black with a white lid. I'm terrified to carry it because I'm always scared it will get broken. These seem to be a good alternative.

Yes, but at $119 for a reproduction and some vintage originals going for $100 and less, is it that great of a deal vs carrying something you adore?

(Geez, that sounds snotty but is just meant to be curious)

Vintage Betty

gluegungeisha

Practically Family
DimeADanceQueen said:

Arrgh, my lucite purse broke over the summer. I took it to Off Broadway, and Susan told me that it would be easy to repare with some enamel. Poor purse...

Here's a really unclear, old photo of it...you get the general idea of what it looks like, hehe!
Picture019.jpg

Liz

Oooh, great pictures -- thanks for sharing! I started collecting lucite purses a few years ago and I'm absolutely crazy about them. I've been lucky enough to buy all of mine from flea markets and garage sales, so they've cost a fraction of what the ones on Ebay bring. Here's a picture of my all-time favorite, a Rialto:

If you love lucite purses, I'd definitely recommend Kate Dooner's Plastic Handbags book. The purses in that book are beautiful beyond belief!

positivelypinup

One of the Regulars
Foofoogal said:
I sold one a few years back. I always wonder if I should hold on to stuff but I have so much. [huh]

well you can just give me all your extra cool stuff, I'll take it off your hands for sure!

Shearer

Practically Family
Vintage Betty said:
Yes, but at $119 for a reproduction and some vintage originals going for $100 and less, is it that great of a deal vs carrying something you adore?

Vintage Betty

Most everything on My Baby Jo is overpriced, and I should know because I've paid for it... :eusa_doh: (Damn you, expensive repro jeans!)

I feel pretty comfortable carting my Lucite around: grocery stores, bars, restaurants, cabs, subway, checked baggage. I don't want to say I'm hard on vintage stuff, but as I paid for it and I only live once, I'm going to get my use out of it!

I'd feel pretty bad if I broke an expensive repro purse, and I'd feel bad if I broke a vintage purse... but the difference between the two is that with the repro it's only a money loss. I imagine lots of people would feel bad for breaking an original purse because of the history behind it!

However, I think have a more cavalier attitude than most about vintage. Generally, I see vintage items as things that are not going to last forever, and as someone who appreciates these things, I want to use them when I can. Clothes, shoes, etc. from the 40s and 50s are, for the most part, in their "twilight years" now. I'm not saying items shouldn't be preserved, I'm just saying it's okay to get a little pleasure out of them while we can :)

I think that vintage gets a little romanticized at times (I'm guilty of it!), so I try to be practical about it. Otherwise I think people end up feeling guilty for tailoring clothes or paranoid about wearing/using original things.

Foofoogal

Banned
I think that vintage gets a little romanticized at times (I'm guilty of it!), so I try to be practical about it.

:eek:fftopic: The thing about alot of vintage is it really is timely. Not all but some anyway. People want what was on their mamas table or toys they played with as a child. A real snapshot or time machine really.
Now antiques are a bit different as quality and beautiful things will always sell. I definitely see the lucite purses as potentially the antiques of tomorrow.
So some stuff is just old and needs to be used.

DimeADanceQueen

Familiar Face
Vintage Betty said:

Vintage Betty

No, totally reasonable question. I paid $12 for my lucite purse at the Buffalo Exchange in Albuquerque, NM. It feels really thin and fragile to me though, and I've carried it a few times and I'm always afraid I'll break it.

I know a shop owner who stocks the repros in his shop in ABQ. He's let me look over a few of them. They are much thicker and sturdier then mine. And I've got a couple of friends with them who've had them knocked off bars and dropped off seats in cars and hit the ground and they've come through will shining colors.

So, if I were to want want one to carry more often, then yes, I'd blow the $$ to have one that was idiot proof..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana