Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Luggage

I want luggage. Luggage, luggage. I have a few pieces of vintage luggage - a great '20s Wheatly in near mint condition and a '40s case with original pinup girl stickers all over it (looks like it was a traveling salesman's suitcase) but I want to get a matching set of traveling luggage that I can lock. Anyone know who's offering classic luggage these days?

Regards,

Senator "I want luggage" Jack

Hey Jack!

From what i have seen, if you want classy old style luggage it will be a true "Name Brand" and probably cost a small fortune. I seem to recall Coach having some awesome luggage.

Good Luck in your search, maybe you'll be able to get some vintage luggage.

Sincerely,

Wild Root

Gone Home
Antique malls and Ebay.

If you're looking for a set of vintage luggage, then your best bet is Antique malls and Ebay. That's where I find old luggage. Also, Estate Sales and Garage Sales are good too.

If you want modern Luggage that looks classic, you'll have to look at what is out there. I own some new luggage if I fly and I take only one large bag to pack most of the goods and a small vintage case to carry onboard. I wouldn?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t dream of letting those Airport guys muscle around my vintage babies!

Good luck friend, hope you find something that will work for you and your look!

=WR=

You're right on about the airport guys with vintage luggage, Wild Root. I've gone through several pieces over the years. The vintage pieces with keys always tend to go high, and we all know that the locks on them were pretty flimsy anyway. They were meant to stand up against gentle porters that would never throw the luggage around, and not the gorillas at today's airports. I'll only use my Wheatly when I'm travelling by car or when I won't be checking it.

I'd like to find a new set that looks classic, just so I can have the good locks and not worry about having them broken into, or worse pulled apart at the hinges. (I've had that happen on a vintage piece)

I was just at Brooks Brothers today and I saw a tweed set behind the counter, but as it wasn't exactly what I was looking for, I didn't ask about the price. Undoubtedly it would have been far beyond my budget anyway. If you come across those sets, Mycroft, Please let me know . Thanks.

Senator Jack

Wild Root

Gone Home
Funny thing about locks....

Last time I flew, they asked me to not lock the bags that were being checked. They need them unlocked to check for suspicious goods. The "War On Terrorism" is making it hard for us good Joes to keep our goods locked. Some Airports are different I guess with their policies but, from what I understand is that they're going to open your bag one way or another, locked or not! So, it's better to leave them unlocked when flying.

=WR=

Mycroft

One Too Many
Senator Jack said:
You're right on about the airport guys with vintage luggage, Wild Root. I've gone through several pieces over the years. The vintage pieces with keys always tend to go high, and we all know that the locks on them were pretty flimsy anyway. They were meant to stand up against gentle porters that would never throw the luggage around, and not the gorillas at today's airports. I'll only use my Wheatly when I'm travelling by car or when I won't be checking it.

I'd like to find a new set that looks classic, just so I can have the good locks and not worry about having them broken into, or worse pulled apart at the hinges. (I've had that happen on a vintage piece)

I was just at Brooks Brothers today and I saw a tweed set behind the counter, but as it wasn't exactly what I was looking for, I didn't ask about the price. Undoubtedly it would have been far beyond my budget anyway. If you come across those sets, Mycroft, Please let me know . Thanks.

Senator Jack

I saw those too at BB the Oxford Collection, man they kill the name Oxford with those things. I have yet to find the polo stuff (I think they were only breifcases). Have you seen these guys, they ar great and somewhat vintage: http://www.orvis.com/store/group.asp?dir_id=1686&Group_ID=8977&shop_id=8768

magneto

Practically Family
Do you have a "Malm Luggage" store near you? Their shop here in downtown SF.CA has a fabulous set of (new) vintage-looking luggage in their window last time I passed it. The store seems to carry various brands, but with my luck the set in the window would be a display and not for sale! Might be worth a look anyway.
... I'd respectfully suggest not buying *new* Coach anything (made in the last 5-10 years & not made in the US), but I have several older Coach bags (1970s-80s) that are timeless, gorgeous and indestructible, bought for a song in consignment shops.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff