Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

M-43 Style boots

J.W.

A-List Customer
Hi,

I'd like to get some boots in the style of the M-43 Roughouts for eyeryday wear, including some possible holiday trips. I know there are already quite a couple of threads on the topic, but most of them are several years old.
The best-known companies offering repros are ATF, AmericanEquipage, wwiii, WPG and Buzz Rickson. There are a number of smaller vendors here in Europe, but they all seem to carry boots made by Sturm and these usually don't get the best reviews. AE seems to sell Sturm, too and wiii has a waitinglist and can't tell you when their repros will be back in stock.
So maybe some members of FL can shed some light on their past purchases from the companies mentioned above and tell us, how the shoes have held up so far. I'd be quite interested in knowing how waterproof your boots are, because you can't get the ones from Sturm really waterproof from what I've heard.

Thanks, J.W.

I have the ATF's I got a year ago at 1/2 price. I use them for yard work and reenacting - Soviet, 70th. They had a bad batch that apparently would crack on the center of the soles, but I beat mine badly, and nothing bad to report at all. Very comfortable, and show little wear. I actually yanked out the hobnails as they're too d@mn dangerous on anything less than dirt or gravel. I used a whole ~8oz tub of Sno*Seal on them, and I'm due for another application for winter. Highly recommend them. No break-in at all, and they're holding up great. Plus, they already look 70 years old, and I've had them a year.
My son has had the same experiences with the "Service shoe, type II".

J.W.

A-List Customer
No, I mean the U.S. M-43 Roughouts or shoes, service, reverse upper. I should have made that more clear, probably.
I agree with the hobnails - I don't want to take my shoes off whenever I walk over some nice flooring while I'm traveling. So, any more experiences with the U.S. Roughouts? Double Buckles are fine, too, as I think they are basically the same shoe.

thecardigankid

One of the Regulars
No, I mean the U.S. M-43 Roughouts or shoes, service, reverse upper. I should have made that more clear, probably.
I agree with the hobnails - I don't want to take my shoes off whenever I walk over some nice flooring while I'm traveling. So, any more experiences with the U.S. Roughouts? Double Buckles are fine, too, as I think they are basically the same shoe.

Don't worry we knew you were talking about the US M43 boots, we were talking about the guy who first replied to your post.

Another supplier of M43 boots who I think does a good job is a guy who primarily makes civil war items, but in his boots section of the mens catalog he has M43 double buckles he has reproduced and they don't look too bad either. Www.blockaderunner.com not a bad price either.

He's thinking of the German M42 Low Boots that ATF sells.

And Yes...Hobnails are beyond worthless on slick surfaces. Just like The US Jumpboots - no traction on anything that isn't dry and composed of solid dirt or pavement.

Oye, sorry guys. Yes, thanks for correcting me. Indeed the German low boots. Sorry for the confusion...
Don't. Post. Before. Morning. Coffee. :)

MPicciotto

Practically Family
Thanks for the link, I didn't know that site. The shoes look good, too, although I'd have to get rid of the gaiters. I'll keep that seller in mind.

By gaiters do you mean the two buckle smooth leather assembly at the top of the boot? If so those are correct for M-43 boots. Are you maybe looking for:

http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/newusarmyroughout.html

Which preceded the M-43 boot and required the use of leggings to keep mud and bugs out of your boots. In the general history of 20th century army footwear we started with low boots and leg wraps, moved to low boots with lace up leggings similar to gaiters, then to the double-buckle boot, and finally to the general design we'd call a "combat boot".

Matt

chamboid

One of the Regulars
I have a pair of Doursoux's in France M-43 roughouts, they are made by Corcoran same as the WWII Impressions ones, and built to last, love 'em. Size down though they come up big, I bought a U.S size 7 (uk 6) and they fit my UK7-7.5 feet perfect with a nice thick sock.

http://doursoux.com/product.php?id_product=495

Otherwise there are these which I love and will own next year the WWII Impressions Boondockers. The same as the service shoe, but slimmer down the foot and a bit more if a dressy style. I wouldn't 'dubb' these like I did the service shoe but leave the nice suede alone.

http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/newusmcboondocker.html

2434_service_shoe.jpg

P1060238.jpg

Sgt Brown

One of the Regulars
Pecards is what Sweeting (Curator of flight gear at the Smithsonian Museum in Washington, DC.) recommends for use on all leather items. That's good enough for me!

Tom

J.W.

A-List Customer
@chamboid: Can you tell us a little bit more about the shoes? How do they perform on different surfaces? Do they offer any ankle support?
By the way, the ones in the picture are the Doursoux-shoes, right?

J.W.

A-List Customer
I think the German low boots just don't look as good as the U.S. M43s. I have really fallen for the ones Chamboid has posted. Do you think changing the soles can be done without too much of a problem, once the need to be replaced? Could any good cobbler do that?
I'm basically looking for an unobtrusive boot for traveling and perhaps every day wear . I'm looking for a boot that can be worn while exploring old and new towns around Europe, but also for a boot that can take a beating, if necessary (rain, mud, rocky paths - exploring national parks and so on). For a hike up Teneriffe's Teide next week, my old Caterpillar's will have to do, but they have become much to clunky for my taste. My aim is to travel with as few items as possible (think: 2-3 chinos or khakis, some shirts or polos, a couple of socks and underwear, plus maybe a G&B Raider)

normanf

One of the Regulars
I think the German low boots just don't look as good as the U.S. M43s. I have really fallen for the ones Chamboid has posted. Do you think changing the soles can be done without too much of a problem, once the need to be replaced? Could any good cobbler do that?
I'm basically looking for an unobtrusive boot for traveling and perhaps every day wear . I'm looking for a boot that can be worn while exploring old and new towns around Europe, but also for a boot that can take a beating, if necessary (rain, mud, rocky paths - exploring national parks and so on). For a hike up Teneriffe's Teide next week, my old Caterpillar's will have to do, but they have become much to clunky for my taste. My aim is to travel with as few items as possible (think: 2-3 chinos or khakis, some shirts or polos, a couple of socks and underwear, plus maybe a G&B Raider)

I think a pair of Galibier Super Rando will do. If you need more support, the Vercors are what you'd want. The Super Guide are exceptional but if you aren't going to climb eight thousanders in the future, they may be overkill. A good pair of leather boots will give you support and conform to your feet. You have break them in gradually and don't wear them the day before you leave! If that's too much, modern hiking boots are good - if you do need Gore-tex and the performance that come along with them. YMMV.

If you're talking a boot to wear in public and to travel, I'd say the US low boots are better for comfort and looks. But the German shoes are great for what I bought them for.
The US boots can have sole issues though, depending on the vintage and/or maker. Read reviews of the boots you like before buying. Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto