M.C. Gannon Hat Company

Discussion in 'Hats' started by moontheloon, Oct 22, 2015.

1. The crown ribbon is 9 ligne club grey and binding is 4 ligne blue grey. The felt is a chameleon and varies from gray, to blue-gray, to a very pale green (sage). Michael chose the ribbon and binding colors and I approved. To my eye, the colors all work together well and complement each other.

The green is very pale but in most light I can see the green. Michael had been calling it gray in our emails until I told him it was sage. Per Wikipedia, the color is defined thus: “Sage is a grey-green...” and I’d say this qualifies, albeit the green is very subdued; not a St. Patrick’s Day kind of green.

Zombie_61 and Rumad like this.
  2. 1961MJS

1961MJS My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hi

"The felt is a chameleon and varies from gray, to blue-gray, to a very pale green (sage)." I"ll never get that color then. I have enough trouble matching clothes etc. I buy a pile of black dress socks and a pile of tan socks every few years and toss the old ones so I can't mess up matching. Silver belly and Granite also seem to change color in different light. Silver mist doesn't.
    Later

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  3. Just A Hat Rack

Just A Hat Rack Practically Family

Fantastic hat Brent. And I have to say, down and dirty is a great name for that deep crease you put in it. Just sayin'...

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  4. Different strokes. I really like the felts that change colors. The very minor color shifts don’t bother me, and to my eye certainly don’t change what clothing it matches. I also like granite and silverbelly...actually I like all the felt colors to some degree.

Zombie_61, Scooterz and Tukwila like this.
  5. Short Balding Guy

Short Balding Guy I'll Lock Up

Sage (Winchester beaver felt) is a cool light green hue. The attached pics are taken on an overcast winter day with higher relative humidity. These conditions make the felts have a bit more brilliance than normal. It makes for great color pics as the lighter hues pop.

I hope this assists.

BTW: VS thin ribbon fedora is pictured. This hat was inspired by a hat that Jauntyone (one of our French Fedora Lounge members), https://www.thefedoralounge.com/members/jauntyone.3910/, had commissioned from Art Fawcett some time before my hat. A Stetson Stratoliner was the original inspiration.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Best, Eric -

6. Jauntyone

Jauntyone Practically Family

Great hat! I'm honored to have been the inspiration for it!

7. Belkar

Belkar New in Town

Awesome hat. Can't wait for mine. :)

Short Balding Guy likes this.
  8. Robieman

Robieman A-List Customer

After trying different creases in this fine Gannon hat I received last December, I finally decided on this. It wasn’t my first choice, but it kinda went in this direction. Funny how one has something specific in mind, but it doesn’t work for whatever reason. This one just seemed to work.
    So as promised back when, here it is.
    Hope you all like it.
    B23B3F26-F7CC-46FD-8197-4066186E8A28.jpeg
    4FEFE2A9-47B2-4DBE-9507-8A1B12DC687D.jpeg
    And it is already 77 degrees out today, but I’m wearing it anyhow!!

9. Just A Hat Rack

Just A Hat Rack Practically Family

It definitely looks good. If the shoe, er, hat fits, wear it!

Zombie_61, Robieman and Ross Young like this.
  10. Short Balding Guy

My Gannon Playboy getting some head time this morning. This hat, inspired by the Stetson hat of same name, needs to get out more often.

[​IMG]

Hope all the Gannon fedoras are getting out for hat adventures. Cheers, Eric -

Ross Young, Zombie_61, Pellie and 7 others like this.
  11. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Eric, I can't tell from the collage pic, but did he do brim stitching on that PB clone?

Zombie_61 and Short Balding Guy like this.
  12. 1967Cougar390

1967Cougar390 Practically Family

I’m excited. I received an email from Michael yesterday that my position is coming up in queue. He wanted to make sure I was still interested in having him make my hat. I enthusiastically replied yes. I’m looking forward to seeing everything come together.

Have a wonderful, safe, and blessed day.
    Steven

Zombie_61, Rumad, Frunobulax and 2 others like this.
  13. Short Balding Guy

Yes sir.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Eric -

Zombie_61, Rumad, Frunobulax and 5 others like this.
  14. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Fantastic.

Zombie_61 and Short Balding Guy like this.
  15. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

It's All Over Now, Powder Blue

I've been expecting this one for a couple of weeks, but there was a short delay because Michael and I got crossways on the specs. After that miscommunication was ironed out, it shipped last Friday. I received it yesterday, and whoa, Nellie, this is another impressive piece of work. Excellent, soft finish, very thin felt, and shapes like a dream. I haven't even hit it with steam yet, and so far, it does whatever I want.

This is my fifth Gannon, and the first since, I think, 2016. He did a great job of making what was in my head.

Specs:

Powder Blue beaver
    ~6 inch OC, 2 3/4" brim
    Crystal Ribbon at 16 ligne, with matching brim binding at 9 ligne.
    The bow/keep was lifted from a European hat Steve (@mayserwegener) posted in the bows thread several months ago. Michael nailed it.
    I went for a Burgundy sweatband, and yes, that's my username (actually, user nickname) on the sweatband.

Picture6.jpg Picture7.jpg Picture3.jpg Picture4.jpg

Quick dry bash

Picture2.jpg Picture1.jpg

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  16. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

This hat is a Wow! Love the bow work.

Frunobulax likes this.
  17. Outstanding Jim! Congrats!

Frunobulax likes this.
  18. RBH

RBH Bartender

That is really sharp!!!
    Love a tall crown!!!

19. I don’t know what I like the most: the wide binding, the fantastic bow work, or the soft tones with the large proportions! So much to like there. Congratulations to you and Michael!

Short Balding Guy and Frunobulax like this.
  20. TheGuitarFairy

TheGuitarFairy Practically Family

Well done, that's a beautiful hat.

Frunobulax likes this.