Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mack the Knife...

HistoricDetroit

New in Town
I didn't post this so much for the story as for Abramoff's style... between the charges and appearance, he almost reminds me of a 1930s gangster going down. Heck, take out the woman in that awful pansuit, and the pretty neat photo!

abramoff.jpg

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000087&sid=aDq6Gy_i0shA&refer=top_world_news

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Ney's district here too.

Billingsgate said:
Coming from Bob Ney's district in Ohio, this is going to be interesting.

Congressman Ney was once a friend. It will be interesting indeed.

As an aside: A black coat and hat would be the very last thing I would wear as an accused.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Glad I haven't worn my new black fedora in DC yet...

This character has -- in more ways than one -- *screwed the pooch* for honest government relations types. The world's about to change in Washington -- America's largest theme park -- DC.

Dalexs

Practically Family
I saw that on the front page of the Globe this morning...
My first thought: why are the criminals always wearing black hats?
As if it isn't tough enough today wearing one and getting weird looks!

Congressman Ney was once a friend. It will be interesting indeed.

Once upon a time, longer ago than I care to admit, I was a cub reporter for the Martins Ferry, Ohio, Times-Leader and was assigned to the Bellaire (OH) office.

Although the Ohio River valley is traditionally robustly Democratic, a Repulican, Mary Fitch, had been elected mayor. Into her administration she brought a young fellow, fresh out of college, as safety director. His name was Bob Ney.

Although belonging to a Democratic family, Ney had decided that becoming Republican would be a good move, since the local Democratic establishment was well entrenched and being a Republican would open more doors for him.

I interviewed him several times back then but did not get to know him well.

In the early nineties, Ney was a rising state senator. Then Governor Voinovich as a form of patronage, had a state prison headed for Belmont County. My father opposed that prison. As part of the drive for the prison, Ney publicly humiliated my father.

Long-time Congressman Doug Applegate then retired; so Ney, the local fair-haired boy, moved into his seat.

Since then - except for a brief moment when I was distributing literature about the Americans with Disabilities Act and he came up to me and introduced himself - I have had no contact with him since.

shamus

Suspended
Maybe it's the photo but his hat looks kind of cheap. Almost like it was made of pressed cardboard. Too bad the hat lobby doesn't have the same pull it use to...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points