Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mackintosh, rain officers

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
It's nice to get a chance to revive an old thread. I recently acquired this 1961 dated 'steam vulcanised' Mackintosh. It's very big - which is nice.

IMG_3720_zps08b3ba97.jpg

IMG_3716_zps3d296513.jpg

vent holes and printed initials:
IMG_3713_zpse0447929.jpg

label:
IMG_3715_zps264e73e2.jpg

instructions:
IMG_3714_zpsa8ad8d69.jpg

I'm interested to know which organisation it was made for. It appears to be part of a uniform (not military or police). The 'rules' of use on the label refer to it being issued by 'The Commission'. But the other labels both include the initials BR, making me think of British Rail, but that wouldn't fit with 'the commission'.

Any ideas?

Two Types

I'll Lock Up
So do I!

I actually have something in the back of my mind that I saw one, somewhere, a few weeks/months ago. But where? God knows.
I think I've got a brown, single breasted one with a belt if that's on your radar.

Nice British Rail Mac, TT - The Commission = "British Transport Commission", of whom BR were a brand until they went independent in 1962.

What you need, hbk, is a "Raincoat, Officers" 1937 or 1942 pattern (are these pattern dates correct? I forget). I've been looking for one for years. tend to be khaki, though.

Last edited:

Hal

Practically Family
What you need, hbk, is a "Raincoat, Officers" 1937 or 1942 pattern (are these pattern dates correct? I forget). I've been looking for one for years. tend to be khaki, though.
Look for a posting, with picture, by FL member nightandthecity c. 2007 (though the style he described is single-breasted and belted - a riding mac).

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
this one just sold on ebay very cheaply, though it was slightly damaged:

707100956_o_zpse325223d.jpg

707101004_o_zps527cae0f.jpg

similar to the famous despatch rider style, with angled map pocket. looks like pvc with a mock leather texture.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou