Mad Dogs and Englishmen (Pithy, right?)

Discussion in 'Hats' started by TipTop, Aug 3, 2012.

1. TipTop

TipTop Practically Family

Well, I've landed a pair of pith helmets, off ePrey: one, hard and twill covered, Made in India; the other flexible, but formed woven straw from Churchill. The Churchill is more comfortable because it breaths and conforms better to my Long Oval noggin. Though marked 7 3/8, was afraid that the Indian one would be too big, but it is American not British sizing, and even a bit snug in fitment.

Despite typical ignorance and overstatement in the item description, the "Bombay Bowler" is not a period piece, given the amount of vinyl inside label, sweat, etc. Also, I have just discovered a spot on the interior liner that lifts up, revealing that the shell appears to be papier mache--and recycled paper at that--not pith cork. See the handwriting in what appears to be blue fountain pen ink in the detail shot below.

You'll note the indoor pics, as it is a blast furnace outside, though thankfully, there is a breeze along the Hudson. I may get to try them out over the next two days.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Onto Bombay...the gin, please.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  2. St. Valentine

St. Valentine A-List Customer

Lovely! I like them both although you got to be brave to wear them in public, don´t you? A pith-helmet out of straw seems to be a good idea too.

3. Oldsarge

Oldsarge One Too Many

Now, when you decide you want a good pith, go to tagsafari.com. None better being made these days.

4. Shangas

Shangas I'll Lock Up

Very cool helmets! I use a Panama, or a Boater for hot weather. What is a pithy like?