Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mad Dogs and Englishmen (Pithy, right?)

TipTop

Practically Family
Well, I've landed a pair of pith helmets, off ePrey: one, hard and twill covered, Made in India; the other flexible, but formed woven straw from Churchill. The Churchill is more comfortable because it breaths and conforms better to my Long Oval noggin. Though marked 7 3/8, was afraid that the Indian one would be too big, but it is American not British sizing, and even a bit snug in fitment.

Despite typical ignorance and overstatement in the item description, the "Bombay Bowler" is not a period piece, given the amount of vinyl inside label, sweat, etc. Also, I have just discovered a spot on the interior liner that lifts up, revealing that the shell appears to be papier mache--and recycled paper at that--not pith cork. See the handwriting in what appears to be blue fountain pen ink in the detail shot below.

You'll note the indoor pics, as it is a blast furnace outside, though thankfully, there is a breeze along the Hudson. I may get to try them out over the next two days.

16231315-lg.jpg

16231313-lg.jpg

16231534-lg.jpg

16231314-lg.jpg

16231312-lg.jpg

Onto Bombay...the gin, please.

Last edited:

St. Valentine

A-List Customer
Lovely! I like them both although you got to be brave to wear them in public, don´t you? A pith-helmet out of straw seems to be a good idea too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points