Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Magnetic Rollers?

Honey Doll

Practically Family
I've seen some ladies talk about these. What are the benefits as opposed to a foam roller?

I'm going to sound silly, but why do they call them "magnetic"?

Honey Doll

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
I can only give advise from experience. I have spiral naturally curly hair, the bane of my existance, any way I always used velcro rollers to set it straight untill 3 years ago when I had a stylist use magnetic ones and they were so much more gentle on my hair. So I went and bought some and tossed out my velcro rollers. Apart from being gentle they give a defined crisper curl or in my case a smooth finish. They are best used on very wet hair so they stick, magnetic, but over time I have managed to use them with no difficulty on damp hair. They need to be pinned into place, I use the long silver clips. So I set my hair straight with magnetic rollers and then set it again with foam, pillow, hot rollers depending on the look I'm going for or the amount of time I have to spend.
I'm sure someone here can give more detailed differences.
mf_short_roller_orange.jpg

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
That pretty much sums it up Goldwyn! Since wet ends "stick" to the roller, you can easily slick the hair around them without having to twist. Plus, never a fish hook.
Nikki

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Question.....for really thick hair...do they help things dry any faster?

I have major issues using anything with an abosrbent core, as it just transfers the damp back and forth between the hair and the roller for hours and hours...days really....

Nashoba

One Too Many
You know seeing that picture of them, I think I may have some in my cabinet. I used them when I was doing Pirates of Penzance to portion out my hair when we were doing spiral ringlets to make it go faster once I got to the theater. I don't think I ever actually tried to use them to do a set.
I realize that a good portion of this answer will depend on how thick your hair is and how thick the pieces are that you roll but are they a faster set than sponge rollers?
I think these are the kind of rollers that a stylist doing an updo tried to use on me years ago for the MC Ball. I told her my hair wouldn't heat set very well (at the time it was down to my waist) but the first thing she did was wash my hair and put them in these pink rollers and sit me under the dryer. 4 hours later my hair was still damp and coming out almost slick straight and I have naturally wavy hair. So my question with these is, are they better to air dry with a good setting lotion or sit under a dryer with?

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Miss Neecerie said:
Question.....for really thick hair...do they help things dry any faster?

I have major issues using anything with an abosrbent core, as it just transfers the damp back and forth between the hair and the roller for hours and hours...days really....

I agree with this Miss Neecerie... seems like the foamie stuff never dries!

I don't think a wet set on any type of roller is going to dry very well if your hair is over 6 inches long. If it is, be prepared to sit under a dryer for ev-ahhh. I think it would dry somewhat faster, and smoother on the magnetics.

This is why pin curls are best. But pin curls really should be made from ends(tips) of hair wound up smoothly, never twisted around fingers and such for best results.

No wonder they went a week without washing. I can go about 4 days and that's it. Worth a good set tho, if I take the time!

Another note on thick hair, or sectioning in general.. is make sure your section is never wider than your roller. If your hair is extra thick or long, take a thinner section. (I mean the diameter of the roller)
Nikki

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points