Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

magnificent feat

dr greg

One Too Many
I found this pair of patent leather shoes that are a perfect fit in an op shop for 4 bux..beautiful condition as well, the photo don't do 'em justice.
Now the question is, what do I wear them with or to, and how do I maintain them
dscf04524ko.jpg
dscf04539ww.jpg

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Those are perfect to wear with evening clothes, like a dinner jacket. I am not sure if they are appropriate to wear with white tie and tails however. I think formal pumps may be the only appropriate shoes for white tie.

shindeco

A-List Customer
While I agree with Vladimir that pumps look far better with tails, the oxford is definitely an acceptable alternative (and always was). If you can find flat, black silk shoelaces, you'll be absolutely spot-on!

wackyvorlon

One of the Regulars
You must learn to polish your shoes!

Those are a beautiful pair of closed-lacing oxfords, never may a spray on product touch them! Kiwi makes a parade shine shoe polish. It's a good place to start.

Now, read a good primer on how to spit shine. This is a time consuming process, but worth it. Here's a link: http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/generalinfo/ht/spitshine.htm

I presume they have leather souls. To keep the souls supple and in good condition, rub a coating of mink oil on them. I have some that have been left untreated, and cracked from drying out.

shoe_pup

New in Town
Uhm, if they are patent leather, they do not take a shine like calfskin shoes. A spray is just what's called for in this case, although Vaseline (yes, it's true) is a less costly alternative. The leather soles need edge dressing.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
*giggles*

At first I thought ....

Magnificent Feet......shoes.....

Then I looked and reread and saw feat.......so didn't read the thread thinking it was someone's accomplishment (of hat cleaning or some such)

Turns out my misread was more accurate then I thought.....it is shoes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24