Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Magnoli Clothiers Quality?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I really like the look of his leather jackets which are made (I understand) in India. Can anyone who has purchase one from Indy tell me about their quality?

His prices are good and I have read good things generally, but never anything specific about the leather, the stitching, lining etc. My concern is that they might be mall jacket quality (but better looking) and wear pretty quickly.

A comparison with other high end gear would be interesting.

P5640blouson

One of the Regulars
You get what you pay for comes to mind

You get what you pay for comes to mind. The more fine a jacket is, the higher the quality must be to have durability. For example, using thinner hides, the jacket must have consistently matched panels to ensure durability. That is why a fine lamb jacket costs so much, it must use the best hides, matched, and the construction has to be flawless in order to achieve the durability and utility.

Kt Templar

One of the Regulars
Although that sentiment sounds good, it's only useful up to a point.

There are plenty of overpriced items out there where you are paying for marketing, fluff and just plain greed when you pay over the odds.

Bruce Wayne

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Daniel Hunter said:
I thought his stuff was made in New Zealand. You mean he farms out production to India?

Mr. Magnoli lives in New Zealand. His production is all over the world. I am personally waiting on a cardigan from China. I have ordered pants & shirts that came from thailand. His stuff is top notch. The only thing that I can suggest is the more detail & specs you give the better the garment will be.

Thanx!!!
Charlie

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
P5640blouson said:
You get what you pay for comes to mind. The more fine a jacket is, the higher the quality must be to have durability. For example, using thinner hides, the jacket must have consistently matched panels to ensure durability. That is why a fine lamb jacket costs so much, it must use the best hides, matched, and the construction has to be flawless in order to achieve the durability and utility.

That's not all that helpful since my question was addresed to anyone who had actual experience of a Mag jacket.

Besides you're not really right on the hide issue. As someone who has purchased dozens of leather jackets over 25 years - the hide is the least likely to go wrong - stiching and lining are more likely to be the problem.

s_crumb

Familiar Face
I haven't gotten a jacket from him but if they are anything like his suits I would be happy. I just received a suit from him and it was great. Very easy to communicate with and he genuinely wants to help. I plan on buying from him again.

jack miranda

A-List Customer
I have a Magnoli goatskin jacket, made for me

about a year ago. Somewhere floating around the forum are pics of me wearing it. I like it. The workmanship is of good quality; the fit is perfect; the materials were fine. It's a good jacket. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you order one from Magnoli. As bruce wayne said, the more detail in the specs you give him, the happier you'll be with the final product. Hope this helps.

Alexi

One of the Regulars
bruce wayne said:
I am personally waiting on a cardigan from China.

I was very disappointed when I received my cardigan and found out it was made in China. I also sent him a message with some questions about it and have never heard back from him. I'm 80% happy with the cardigan just some small quibbles and well disappointed by the made in China part

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Why are you disappointed that the cardigan was made in China?

Surely, if you've a problem with a particular country, as some do, it's best to ask about the affiliations and partnerships of the place you're buying from beforehand.

If it's about perceptions of quality, there's good and bad everywhere. I'm (just) old enough to remember the near-stigma of the 'Made in Japan' label. That's not remarked on so much these days...

Paden

Vendor
If I can, I do not by Made in China.
I have many reasons for this, but most of all, for the same price and quality, I
prefer stuff from my home country.
As a dealer, normaly you pay lees for stuff from this country, but sometimes you can not see it in the price of the product, more in the wallet of the dealer.

Alexi

One of the Regulars
Creeping Past said:
Why are you disappointed that the cardigan was made in China?

Surely, if you've a problem with a particular country, as some do, it's best to ask about the affiliations and partnerships of the place you're buying from beforehand.

If it's about perceptions of quality, there's good and bad everywhere. I'm (just) old enough to remember the near-stigma of the 'Made in Japan' label. That's not remarked on so much these days...

Most of my reasons for not buying "made in china" are political, so I'll keep them to myself.
I thought I had seen that he was having them made in New Zealand in a thread, and well I think I got a few things mixed up. I just wish I had thought to ask where he had his stuff made.

Alucard73

One of the Regulars
I have an overcoat (Rorschach's coat) and Magnoli was very good about communication. It did take a very long time to get the coat but Magnoli always kept me informed. The quality is well above average but not perfect...but nothing is.

I just picked up an Ppen Road from the FL Classified. Made in India by Aress International. Antique Goat & though I am a sport coat 44R, I went for the 44L cause I like longer sleeves on motorcycle & longer length to go over my waist more for riding my 1979 Honda 750. Wasn't expecting zipper on other side but oh well. Photos to come later...

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
gtdean48 said:
I just picked up an Ppen Road from the FL Classified. Made in India by Aress International. Antique Goat & though I am a sport coat 44R, I went for the 44L cause I like longer sleeves on motorcycle & longer length to go over my waist more for riding my 1979 Honda 750. Wasn't expecting zipper on other side but oh well. Photos to come later...

And? Is it well made - stitching, lining, etc...

Zipper pull on left or right?

I have 1 reversible jacket but almost all my others have the zipper pull tab on the right hand side of the jacket. This Magnoli Open Road has it on the left, as I mentioned in earlier post. I had received a fleece vest that had the same arrangement & was told it must have been made for European market.
Is that true? [huh]
I know women's shirts have buttons on the other side & always was told that is from earlier times of having others help doing the buttons.

Edward

Bartender
I've had men's leather jackets I've bought here, and ones I've had from the US - it's true, the pull on the zipper is on the other side in the US from Europe. Just like how y'all drive on the wrong side of the road over there in Merika... ;)

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
I cannot comment on the quality of Magnoli's leatherjackets. I own two pairs of trousers, a suit and some shirts, and I'm not really enthusiastic about the made quality.. it's not top notch as one of the other members stated.. only worn a couple of times I have to resew all buttons back onto almost every garment.. I'm not kidding.. the fit of two Hollywood-trousers, ordered at the same time, is not the same, not a biggie, but nevertheless.. Chosen suit-fabric was not up to my expectation..No suspenderbuttons attached on a suit-trousers as ordered, no backpocket buttons etc.. Two shirts are, well, flimsy.. It's all not very problematic, and communication about these issues is very clear, as Indy is always willing to solve any problem I have with his garments, but if you want an honest opinion, you can have my 2 cents..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff