Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Make sure the fit is right !!

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
After seeing so many pics of Paddy in his A2s, I have learned just how important it is to get the fit just right on an A2 for that authentic WW2 look. When I bought my Aero two years ago, I rather foolishly ordered a 42"" when I am a 40" chest. Admittedly, the guy I spoke to advised a 42 after I gave him my measurements and told him I might wear a sweatshirt under it, nevertheless, I wish I'd gone for a 40. I'm hoping to aquire another one soon and have decided to go for the 'real deal' one they do. The one I have now is their generic A2 - not necessarily a repro of any particular maker/ year. It's taking a long time to aquire any kind of worn-in look and as I'll be 53 in September, I guess I'll be 'worn out' long before it's 'worn in' lol

My daughter took the pics which are not very high res but they're just for a rough guide

CopyofP4110010.jpg

CopyofP4110008.jpg

CopyofP4110012.jpg

Burma Shave

One of the Regulars
actually...

...I think the 42 looks great on you. If you went two inches smaller in the chest, it looks like it would start pulling too much across the shoulders. Just my two cents.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Hey Mister- the fit in these pic's is perfect- any smaller than this and you'll be dressed for the wrong kind of nightclub:rolleyes:

Seriously, as the last reply says- spot on.
There is some 'pull' across the chest already.
Don't fall into the T-O-O tight A-2 trap, like many of us have.
And I'm speaking from experience...

Glad to see you're not trying to get a good fit with an Eastman...:D

BTW- you don't look a day over the hill.

B
T

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
That Jacket Fits

I wouldn't go any smaller at all, or you'll look like BT in an Eastman.

Seriously, you have half the fit thing nailed by wearing the right pants with it. Wearing low-waisted blue jeans with an A2 (especially over 30 years old), and there's really no avoiding the fat old fart in a kid's jacket look. Unless you're rail thin.

That jacket fits just right.

JWG

Familiar Face
That fit is excellent. Look at the photos of vintage aircrews and pilots and you'll find many many of them have loose fitting A2s!

Yours looks ideal all around!

Mike K.

One Too Many
Keep that jacket...the fit is right on!!

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall reading somewhere that Aero uses WWII sizing on their flight jackets (which is one size larger than today's sizing). Hence an Aero/WWII size 42 will actually fit more like a modern size 40. I'm a modern size 38 and take Aero's size 40 for a correct fit.

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
Re-assured !!

Thanks guys for such a positive response. I must say that the jacket does feel comfortable as far as fit goes - its not restricting in any way. I'm not unhappy with the way it looks, just felt the 40 might be 'spot-on' as they say. Anyway, I do intend to get one of their 'real deal' jackets - be it 40 or 42 I certainly won't make any decision until I can actually try on an Aero in 40" and see what the difference is like. Thanks for all your encouraging feedback, I really appreciate that.

Colin

bfrench

Familiar Face
silhouette53 said:
After seeing so many pics of Paddy in his A2s, I have learned just how important it is to get the fit just right on an A2 for that authentic WW2 look.

SNIP

My daughter took the pics which are not very high res but they're just for a rough guide

Hi, Silhoutte53,

I agree with the others that this jacket is an excellent fit.

One thing I'll suggest to all of you is that you invest in a camera tripod and learn to use the timer on your digital cameras.

You then can take all the pics you want of yourself by yourself without trying the patience of your loved ones.

You'll be surprised at how well you'll become at taking the pics that you want to display your jackets.

It also shows how the jacket fits on you in a myriad of poses.

Bill French

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
I think everyone is right about the fit for you, it looks good. Don't forget that during WWII there was a great deal of variation in the way those jackets fit. Some guys ended up with a little too big...others a little too small. It sounds as if you've got "flight jacket fever" anyway so you'll have a chance to experiment with size as you add to your collection. If you get your next Aero from Mark Moye you could ask him to send you a jacket as a sample to try for fit. I've heard that he'll do that service so you can be certain.

My Real Deal is a bit big now due to my getting back down to my usual underweight proportions. I think the jacket still looks good although it's no where near a snug fit. I love that jacket too much to not wear it anyhow. If I had only realized when I ordered mine that I was just about to find the will power to step away from the Chunky Monkey!:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana