Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Make-up for oily skin

Spaugs

New in Town
I need help! Someone save me! I am pale, but I have olive skin because of my Italian heritage. You know what else I have because of my Italian heritage? COPIOUS AMOUNTS OF OIL! Does anyone know of a form of make-up (or application) that is less bothered by oil, doesn't irritate the skin and cause break-outs. I am a complete clutz with make-up, so I really appreciate any and all help! Thanks!

ShoreRoadLady

Practically Family
I'm with you there - I have oily skin that turns slick even after sitting for a few hours in an air-conditioned room. :( Even waterproof mascara just slides off my face, because after all, it's only waterproof, not oilproof! I've heard makeup primers recommended; I don't know how well they work, but I'm tempted to try them.

BakingInPearls said:
Mineral makeup will probably be the best in turn with those fun oil absorbing papers you get at the drug store. My sister swears by then since I recomended them to her.

What brand of absorbing tissues does she buy? I looked all over my drugstore, but couldn't find them. I must just be looking in the wrong spot.

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
She gets the Clean and Clear kind that look like this:

cleanclear-oil-pads-large.jpg

She gets them at either the grocery store or drug store they are normally not with the makeup but in the facial care aisle.

Jenautica

Familiar Face
ShoreRoadLady said:
I'm with you there - I have oily skin that turns slick even after sitting for a few hours in an air-conditioned room. :( Even waterproof mascara just slides off my face, because after all, it's only waterproof, not oilproof! I've heard makeup primers recommended; I don't know how well they work, but I'm tempted to try them.

What brand of absorbing tissues does she buy? I looked all over my drugstore, but couldn't find them. I must just be looking in the wrong spot.

Post-it Notes work awesome too...especially the recycled ones.

Lillemor

One Too Many
Smuterella said:
take comfort in the fact that oily skin usually ages better

I'm trying, I really am. But it's so hard at times.

I've heard that there are primers for oily skin but I can't recommend any because I'm still looking. I also haven't found a mattifyer that keeps the shine away for more than a couple of hours at most I have the same problem with waterproof and smudgeproof mascaras and eyeliners.:(

It may just be the two Matas shops in Horsens I went into but they said they have all the shades available on the Danish market and none of them matched.:(

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Lillemor said:
I'm trying, I really am. But it's so hard at times.

I've heard that there are primers for oily skin but I can't recommend any because I'm still looking. I also haven't found a mattifyer that keeps the shine away for more than a couple of hours at most I have the same problem with waterproof and smudgeproof mascaras and eyeliners.:(

It may just be the two Matas shops in Horsens I went into but they said they have all the shades available on the Danish market and none of them matched.:(

What about just using blotting paper? Or just powdering your nose ever hour. :)

Shades of foundation? Have you tried mineral powder? You can order samples very cheaply from Lily Lolo and the powder itself is also very inexpensive. And great for oily skin.

R

Red_Lipstick

Apart from mineral make-up I also use oil-free liquid make-up :)

Oh, and I started the Oil Cleansing Method and my skin seems to be a bit less oily!

Smuterella

One Too Many
my cheap and cheerful solution to oily skin, without layering it in powder, is to use cigarette rolling papers instead of mattifying blotting paper.

works a treat (just don't use the glued side)

Lillemor

One Too Many
Laura Chase said:
What about just using blotting paper? Or just powdering your nose ever hour. :)

Shades of foundation? Have you tried mineral powder? You can order samples very cheaply from Lily Lolo and the powder itself is also very inexpensive. And great for oily skin.

I don't know Lily Lolo but I will google it and try to learn about the brand.:) Yeah...I need an excuse to whip out a cute vintage/retro compact in public every hour.;)

Laura Chase

One Too Many
Lillemor said:
I don't know Lily Lolo but I will google it and try to learn about the brand.:) Yeah...I need an excuse to wip out a cute vintage/retro compact in public every hour.;)

Well, I see no shame in doing that!

But Smuterella is right, blotting paper is probably the best solution if you have really oily skin, in stead of applying a 1000 layers of cakey powder.

But you still need to try Lilo Lolo. :)

R

Red_Lipstick

Smuterella said:
my cheap and cheerful solution to oily skin, without layering it in powder, is to use cigarette rolling papers instead of mattifying blotting paper.

works a treat (just don't use the glued side)

I have to try that!

ShrinkingViolet

A-List Customer
Another thing that works instead of adding layers and layers of powder is to dab with a wet cotton ball whenever necessary, several times a day. Just cold water and cotton, it actually soaks up excess oil and makes you feel a little fresher, and if you then powder on top of it it will sit nicer on the skin.
I'm in my late 20s so the greasiness isn't as bad as it used to be, but it's gone a bit worse again after I quit the pill ... urgh.

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
ShrinkingViolet said:
I'm in my late 20s so the greasiness isn't as bad as it used to be, but it's gone a bit worse again after I quit the pill ... urgh.

Mine too! I am having to use about 3-4 blotting sheets a day at the moment, as opposed to 1 or 2 before. It's annoying, and I hope it goes away. Any idea how long it'll take to calm down?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points