Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Making a tight hat fit. The easy way!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
My Bradford from a couple months ago...

mj7k.jpg

I know we discussed this in an earlier thread. I have a rare Bradford OR clone that I really love. I feared that I may had to have sold it or traded it off because it fit too tight. The tag was marked 7 1/8 but it fit like a size 7. I remember we discussed popping the threads on the back of the sweat to open it up and make it fit my 7 1/8 long oval head. Some were apprehensive saying that I should stretch it instead. I'm not much a fan on stretching because it's a process that will have to be repeated. I just want to pop a hat on my head with no fussing over fitting issues. There were other Loungers who said to try it. I think Alan said it best, that if I were to cut the threads on the back of the sweat it shouldn't hurt the sweat and it's something that's reversible. If I were to send it off to a hatter and have it reblocked to fit me, I'd lose the sweat anyway. Well, I made the leap and cut the threads in the back where the sweat is sewn together. Mission was a complete success! That hat fits like glove! Nice and comfortable too! The best thing is, I get to keep my beloved Bradford and the sweat is still preserved!

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the information, I just scored a Resistol Cowboy I'm getting converted to a campaign hat. It was just a tad snug this'll save me time and money.

Worf

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the information, I just scored a Resistol Cowboy I'm getting converted to a campaign hat. It was just a tad snug this'll save me time and money.

Worf

Good luck my friend. I hope it works for you. I'm pleased with the way mine turned out. It sure beats the cost of having it reblocked to size. A couple friends and a hatter's website suggested this method, and I have to say, it definitely worked for me.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I've done this to a couple of hats. Trying to go any more than one size up, though, may present a problem, though, as the hat may distort past the point of looking good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto