Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

making your nails strong

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I looked for a thread here on this topic, but didn't find one! I know people have posted some of this information in other threads, but I figured a centralized location might be nice.

What do you do to make your nails stronger or to make them grow faster? Do you have favorite products you use? Give us your tips!

I know a lot of gals here have mentioned pre-natal vitamins for making nails grow quickly. After removing my artificial nails, I started using Nailtiques Nail Protein, available at most drugstores. I've been quite happy with it and it has helped restore some strength to my nails without making them brittle. Another product I really, really love is Pro-Strong ProAccelerator Flouride Nail Strengthener. This stuff is fantastic - it's a flouride treatment that bonds to the calcium in your nails to make them stronger. This stuff also makes your nails grow faster and you can use it even if you're wearing polish (seriously, this stuff really works!). Pro-Strong has a lot of other great products as well, but you have to order it through their website or QVC. They also have a 30 day no-questions-asked guarantee.

The Shirt

Practically Family
My nails are the first thing to tell me whether my diet is a healthy one. They become brittle when I choose to eat unhealthy and greasy food. I also need to protect them any time I do something hmmm... well let's just call it handy. Whether in the garden, nailing a picture into a wall, doing a giant pile of dishes I must remember to wear gloves.

I have also found that certain nail polishes also exacerbates the brittle situation. Though I love OPI for the colors, it savages my nails for some reason. I will look for the Pro-strong, thanks for the recommendation.

Laura Chase

One Too Many
The Shirt, I feel exactly the same way, during periods when I don't eat as many veggies as I normally do, my nails start to break and floss.

But diet can only do so much, and for helping both nails and hair grow faster and stronger, I've taken silicium pills. I heard Lolita Haze here from the lounge mentioning pre-natals, and I talked with my local pharmacy about it. They suggested I just take B-vitamins in stead, according to them that was the only thing in the pre-natals which would benifit hair and nails. The B-vitamins didn't really do anything for me, though.

The silicium pills I took were really good, though, for both hair and nails. The ones I took also contained brewer's yeast, which I've heard is supposed to be very good for hair and nails too.

I stopped taking them when I cut my hair short because they made my hair grow very fast, but I think I will start taking them anyway because they also made my hair stronger.

Inky

One Too Many
Definitely nutrition and staying hydrated are your first plan of attack for healthy nails. A good protein plan (I eat 60 to 75 grams of protein per day) is a must.

Since I had my gastric bypass, and obviously malnutrition and vitamin deficienies are a serious threat to me, I take two multi vitamins a day (one daytime/one nighttime) along with various other supplements, including 5000 mcg of Biotin per day. I've actually taken biotin for years for my hair, but I know it can help with nails, though I never noticed it prior to surgery. I have noticed though that since my surgery, my nails now grow long and strong which was definitely not the case prior to surgery.

I really feel that the protein, along with proper vitamin nutrition and hydration, really has improved my nails. They grow now and do not peel and break like they used to.

I also keep my cuticles from getting dry by using monoi oil on them, or this handy little cuticle care pen that I keep by my desk to use.

Great topic - I love healthy painted nails!

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
The Shirt said:
I will look for the Pro-strong, thanks for the recommendation.

Pro-Strong also has a nice line of nail polish, though I have not used it.

Laura Chase said:
The silicium pills I took were really good, though, for both hair and nails. The ones I took also contained brewer's yeast, which I've heard is supposed to be very good for hair and nails too.

I stopped taking them when I cut my hair short because they made my hair grow very fast, but I think I will start taking them anyway because they also made my hair stronger.

Good to know! I've avoided pre-natals so far because I dye my hair, and it already grows very fast and I don't need to dye my hair any more frequently than I already am!

Inky said:
I've actually taken biotin for years for my hair, but I know it can help with nails, though I never noticed it prior to surgery. I have noticed though that since my surgery, my nails now grow long and strong which was definitely not the case prior to surgery.

Does biotin make your hair grow faster? Or just stronger?

Laura Chase

One Too Many
It seems like most pills that make the growing hair stronger also make it grow faster. I don't know if it's possible to have something make the growing hair stronger without speeding up growth. It would be nice.

artful dodgette

One of the Regulars
i used to have really soft bendy nails, but i started having a cube of raw jelly (jello?) a day,

its cheap and really works! try it! its good for the hair too!

i need to start this up again!

Tinseltown

A-List Customer
The Shirt said:
My nails are the first thing to tell me whether my diet is a healthy one. They become brittle when I choose to eat unhealthy and greasy food. I also need to protect them any time I do something hmmm... well let's just call it handy. Whether in the garden, nailing a picture into a wall, doing a giant pile of dishes I must remember to wear gloves.

I have also found that certain nail polishes also exacerbates the brittle situation. Though I love OPI for the colors, it savages my nails for some reason. I will look for the Pro-strong, thanks for the recommendation.
Can you tell me the name and brand of those silicum pills? Were they from the pharmacy or Matas? My hair is so weak and brittle and I also suffer from hairloss - nothing I've tried has helped so far. :(

Vegan_Kitty

New in Town
I have good strong nails, :)

I definitely think a good balanced diet with plenty of fluids is key to good strong hair and nails, so that would be the first port of call so to speak.

Then regular cuticle massages with your favourite hand cream and cleaning underneath the nail tip seem to keep my nails nice and happy.

Also as for nail hardeners etc, I use crystal clear from Barry M, It serves to protect nails from everyday wear and tear, I remove it twice a week to let my nails breathe though. And then, massage and reapply.

Im not sure if any of this is of any help, this is just my nail routine lol

tempestbella42

One of the Regulars
KittyT said:

basically!
in the uk (not sure if you have the same over there!?) we have a solid block of concertrated juice and Gelatine, marked like a choc bar in cubes that u can break off and eat or use how its meant to be by dissolving in hot water for a larger volume of jelly..like artful dodgette says!!...the most commons by these..http://www.rowntrees.co.uk/home/

artful dodgette...my mum swears by it too!! (tastes good as well!!):)

crwritt

One Too Many
We have something similar in the US, not in a block, though, Knox unflavored gelatin powder in little packets. My classical guitar playing brother drinks it to strengthen his nails.

jasmynskyes

Familiar Face
For me when I make sure I'm eating enough fruits and veggies, my stubborn nails grow like crazy and stay long, too! As to topical fixes, the best I've ever used is the Diamond Hard nail shine by Sally Hansen. My nails grew and they were hard, not bendy. Just make be careful because it really hurts when you scratch yourself! :eek:

Lareesie Ladavi

One of the Regulars
Yeah, gelatin is made from animals (usually cows and horses). It's collagen extracted from bones...I try not to think about it, when eating Jell-O. I remember when my mom first told me that (when she was baking with it)...I thought that was the weirdest thing I'd ever heard. :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk