Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Makins Hats/Stitch Hats Father's Day Sample Sale In NYC

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I recently received this sale announcement from Makins.

Dear friends,

Hope everyone is well and enjoying the summer.

Please join us starting this WEDNESDAY, June 12th for our father’s day sample sale. Get a nice hat for dad and help him cover up the bald spot that you may have helped make in the first place.

Hundreds of hats from our fall and spring collections for men and ladies on sale for up to 80% off of the retail price.

Where:
MAKINS HATS, 212 West 35th Street, 12th Floor, between 7th & 8th Avenue

When:
Wed June 12th 10:00am – until we are sold out of hats. (closed on Sundays in between)

Hope to see you :)

http://makinshats.com/

http://stitchhats.com/index.php

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I went. Stayed two, maybe three minutes. It's all contemporary fashion hats -- the kind of "fedoras" you can buy on the street for five or ten bucks. Not a real sweatband in the bunch, neither leather or cloth, just a circle of cheap ribbon hanging on for dear life where a sweatband should be.

Oh well, I went with low expectations (based on the websites mentioned in the announcement), so at least I got to stretch my legs a little.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Not a real sweatband in the bunch, neither leather or cloth, just a circle of cheap ribbon hanging on for dear life where a sweatband should be
The material used for their sweatbands is called grosgrain. It is commonly found in felt and straw roll up hats. Custom hatters will also use it upon request. It makes for a lighter hat and it wears more comfortably, IMO. Glad you enjoyed your walk........

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
I'm familiar with grosgrain -- this didn't look like that to me. But I'm no expert, so perhaps I'm wrong. In any case, the ribbons were haphazardly stitched in and many of the hats were misshapen. I can't imagine spending the prices listed on their websites -- or even the discounted prices touted for this sale -- for these hats.

I was the only customer there, and when I walked in in my Sunbody fedora, one of the employees said, "Now, that's a hat!" And it's true -- as humble as Sunbody hats are, it was twice the hat of anything on display in that room.

Last edited:

-30-

A-List Customer
"Always 100% made in New York City, Stitch Hats uniquely blend the tradition, craftsmanship and superior quality of an old school hand made hat with the diverse original and complex styling of the city that gave birth to it. Every hat made by us is made one at a time with pride and love on century old wood blocks and old fashioned hat making equipment that simply does not exist anywhere else.
The attention to detail, from the design of the shape and the trim, right down to the unique linings and label insure that Stitch hats are the best made and most unique hats available anywhere."
QUOTE: Stitch Hat Co. - About us.

http://stitchhats.com/about.php

They are delusional at best.
LOL.

Regards,
-30-

viclip

Practically Family
I'm familiar with grosgrain -- this didn't look like that to me. But I'm no expert, so perhaps I'm wrong. In any case, the ribbons were haphazardly stitched in and many of the hats were misshapen. I can't imagine spending the prices listed on their websites -- or even the discounted prices touted for this sale -- for these hats.

I was the only customer there, and when I walked in in my Sunbody fedora, one of the employees said, "Now, that's a hat!" And it's true -- as humble as Sunbody hats are, it was twice the hat of anything on display in that room.

I took delivery of a Makin in January. It cost over 2 bills. I know what you mean about the ribbon material. It didn't help that my hat arrived with half the ribbon separated from the crown ~ Makins used adhesive instead of stitches to affix the ribbon. I wound up removing both blobs of adhesive & stitching the ribbon onto the hat body myself. I didn't appreciate having to do that, considering that sewing a button back onto my clothing is a major undertaking for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112