Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Male Facial Hair Care

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
This conversation has been going on in the "men in makeup" thread, and was requested it's own thread, so I thought I'd oblige.

Most women, spend quite a bit of time on their facial hair. Keeping upperlips waxed and eyebrows plucked. For the time being I'm simply going to go on about eyebrows. (mainly, because I don't really know or care about beards/mustaches, and keeping nose hairs trimmed should be self explanatory, but eyebrows I know a bit about)

Women have a much more difficult task of keeping their eyebrows up then men. Women must shape and keep them up.
eyebrow2-425x256.jpg
eyebrows-101-2.jpg

Men really only need to catch stray hairs and keep the section between eyebrows clear (unibrows are a huge no-no)
matthewmacfadyen.jpg

So lets get started:

When you pluck your eyebrows, it's a good idea to either A:wait until you've gotten out of a shower or B: use ice to numb the area a bit. until you get used to it.

first of all you need to know WHERE to pluck. In the above drawing, where line A is, take a think straight item (pencil usually works) and line it up, this is where your eyebrow stops. Do the same on the other eyebrow, anything in between should go.
125493_f260.jpg

Then look at your actual eyebrow. Don't focus on SHAPING, or you'll look a bit to feminine
faaagn000060.jpg
keira_knightley_chanel.jpg
Simply look at the hairs that aren't in line with the rest. If they're out on their own get rid of them.

When you pluck eyebrows take your hand and pull the eyebrow taunt and pull in the direction of the hair.
orlando-bloom-1.jpg

Caity Lynn

Practically Family
If your eyebrows have no shape whatsoever and you are unhappy with this you can shape them a LITTLE but be careful not to over do it or you'll look feminine.

Use the same drawn diagram in the previous post and use those lines as guidelines. The arch of the eyebrow should be above the outside of the black of your eye (I know what its called but can't spell it)Please, pluck sparingly.

alrightey, Ladies and Gentlemen...here's the ball, run with it!

ortega76

Practically Family
Every once in a great while, I let the wife tweeze any stray hairs. I once got the eyebrows threaded. Otherwise, I just snip strays with my beard scissors every few days.

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Make up your mind!

Here's my beef, the Yasser Arafat look.
kil0n0vember

Next it was picked up by pop stars, exempli gratis, George Michael:
kil0n0vember

Now I see it everywhere and it looks like (expletive deleted)! Hey! Buy a razor! Make the commitment to grow a beard! When I see guys with this "grooming", I think I should be reaching into my pocket for spare change, helping a "fellow American who's down on his luck".

Whew! That feels much better.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Usually I just pull my hat low with the brim snapped down. The collar of my coat goes up unless it's too warm to wear a coat in which case it must be sunglasses weather. That way as much of my face is hidden as possible, including my eyebrows. :eek:

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Brooke Shields

It's not for nothing that those eyebrows graced the cover of Vogue for almost a decade!

They are drop-dead gorgeous!

I want those eyebrows now.....

R7Q2Y8P_large.jpg

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Or ... let us be big burly hairy men. We have hair sprouting between our eyes, out our noses, and from inside our ears. We get bruised and scarred, but shrug it off as simple signs of living. There may be soup stains on our ties, a bit of grease on our favorite shirt, and a hole in our favorite boxers. But overall, we're good folk. We love ourselves the way we are. We love our women the way they are. Don't go complicating our lives with random tweezing and nitpicking. Just let us read our Sunday papers and feel free to smile at us once in a while.

;)

I think you gotta be in-between. I don't want no unibrow, and if it grew in, I'd rid of it. With these modern ladies, I'm happy I can keep my big sideburns! Or to go a day or two without a shave when I don't have to work is nice too. But me and my past gf's have had a deal, I shave, then they'll shave.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Thank You, Caity Lynn! Great tutorial.

Also, as Barbigirl mentioned in the other thread, waxing is much less painful. ZIP and it's done, rather than *plink!* *Plink!* *Plink!* one at a time.

Brook Shields' brows were all the thing for a long time. They look like bands of soft mink. Amazing.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I do not believe there is a cookie cutter way to pigeon hole what facial hair looks good on whom.

For example Brooke Shields eyebrows are fabulous on her; very alluring. Another person would look hideous.

Same thing with guys. For example Salvador Dali's style was entirely his own.

6a0109811e5c13000c011016331431860c-500pi

On someone else a bad move.:p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff