Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mallory in the house: Stratoliner clone

Pilgrim

One Too Many
A few months ago I acquired a very nice Mallory with bound edge brim on Ebay. I didn't like the crown shape, and my own efforts to re-shape it were not that successful. I finally took it to the Greeley Hatworks; they did a nice C-crown on it and helped me with the brim - the felt is a bit stiffer than the tan Stratoliner I have.

It has a dark liner which is hard to photograph, as reflection from the plastic insert tends to wash it out. But it was sold in Spokane, WA near my home town...which is cool.

I have become a real fan of Mallory, and I wear this hat in preference to my Stratoliner - it's even a better fit. The crown is perhaps 1/2" taller, but otherwise it's a real match for the Strat I have.

P3200047.jpg

P3200048.jpg

P3200046.jpg

P3200049.jpg

P3200050.jpg

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Pilgrim said:
A few months ago I acquired a very nice Mallory with bound edge brim on Ebay. I didn't like the crown shape, and my own efforts to re-shape it were not that successful. I finally took it to the Greeley Hatworks; they did a nice C-crown on it and helped me with the brim - the felt is a bit stiffer than the tan Stratoliner I have.

What a beauty. Very nice.

I recently had opportunity to handle a vintage Mallory for the first time. I was impressed with the felt in that it was very soft but had that 'clay like' feel that we all desire. The felt followed the lead of my hands from frumpled center crease through teardrop and diamond with aplomb. This is fairly remarkable considering I found it crumpled and dusty lying at the bottom of a hat pile in a plastic basket! Vintage felt really is different.

Pilgrim

One Too Many
This felt is fairly stiff, but resilient. It is workable but the Open Roads and Strats are definitely softer. I think there's a bit more stiffener in it, and it also feels like the felt may be a bit thicker. I am definitely impressed with the workmanship and quality of materials.

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nice Mallory Pilgrim, I like the higher crown. I have one Mallory myself love the hat but classic fedora not a thin ribbon. I would certainly like to pick up hat like yours in 7-1/4

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Pilgrim said:
This felt is fairly stiff, but resilient. It is workable but the Open Roads and Strats are definitely softer. I think there's a bit more stiffener in it, and it also feels like the felt may be a bit thicker. I am definitely impressed with the workmanship and quality of materials.

It's interesting the subjective ways we describe various felts - thicker, thinner, stiffer, softer, cantankerous, jealous, lovely, incorrigible, compliant, non-compliant......:D

Let's not even get started on Silverbelly.

buler

I'll Lock Up
jonbuilder said:
Nice Mallory Pilgrim, I like the higher crown. I have one Mallory myself love the hat but classic fedora not a thin ribbon. I would certainly like to pick up hat like yours in 7-1/4

Nice hat Pilgrim!

Jon, funny you should say that. I just happened to have come home with a Mallory thin ribbon today. Its marked a 7 1/8, buts its pretty loose on my 7 1/8 head. I'd say closer to a 7 1/4. Haven't had time to measure or photograph it. More tomorrow!

B

buler

I'll Lock Up
Another Mallory

Pilgrim, hope you don't mind me adding this hat to your thread. I just found it yesterday. It brushed up great. Love the felt on these older Mallorys. It takes a crease so nice. Darker shade of grey than yours.

B

3380596914_eeaf55a9f6_o.jpg

3380597018_2e21eedc94_o.jpg

3379772723_c16d8c1707_o.jpg

3380589878_75ff255a0d_o.jpg

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I like that darker grey Mallory. I note that it has the same sweatband stamp as mine for the felt process.

I'm not sure what "Cravenette" means....perhaps a backup singer for someone named Craven?

I just couldn't resist...............lol

buler

I'll Lock Up
Pilgrim, is your size tag paper or fabric? Mine is paper. But I have 2 other Mallory's with fabric tags. I'm guessing (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) that the fabric tagged hats are older.

B

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Mallorys here are handsome, and the combination with the jacket looks great, making me glad I got an A-2 style jacket recently to wear with mine. Must be the "Indy" iconography, but not necessarily what I would be going for. Not saying the "Indy" association is bad, just that the combination has a "rightness" about it, apart from the film character. Terrific hat, Pilgrim!

dean

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto