Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Marcello Mastroianni's hat in "8 1/2"

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Where exactly can one get a hat in the style of Marcello Mastroianni's in the Federico Fellini film "8 1/2?" I wasn't necessarily planning on getting one right now, and custom is very expensive, but are there any close options below two-hundred dollars? It seems to me like it's very similar to fedora, but with a wide rolled up brim on the sides. It also has a low crown and a narrow side of moderate ribbon, being creased in a teardrop crown with what looks like the Indiana Jones "Raider's pinch." The film is black and white, but I assume the hat is actually black, or at least charcoal. Any guess as to the proportions of this particular hat; brim width, crown height, and the like?

Here are some pictures of the hat:

14-475842_0x420.jpg

tumblr_m3lee7hvH51qj2u1wo1_400.jpg

fellini-+mastroianni.jpg

otto_gr1.jpg

Thanks. I actually liked the movie 8 1/2, although many seem to regard it as pretentious. It's a very thought provoking film, and Nino Rota's music is a large part of what made the experience, very mesmerizing.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
A 2-1/2-3/4" brim 60's(or later) Borsalino would do nicely. The crown is moderately low with a fairly rounded upper block. A size smaller than proper fit would also help the look as it is worn quite high.

Here's a 90's (2-1/2")Como:
P1040745.JPG

Could get it closer, but prefer not to push it so that it would need re-shaping. Looks like the crown is even lower.

Last edited:

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
A 2-1/2-3/4" brim 60's(or later) Borsalino would do nicely. The crown is moderately low with a fairly rounded upper block. A size smaller than proper fit would also help the look as it is worn quite high.
Could get it closer, but prefer not to push it so that it would need re-shaping. Looks like the crown is even lower.
You're all over it....and you're right on the money with the size smaller tip....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21