Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Meeting other Vintage Enthusiasts

Lenore

Practically Family
I had a doctor's appointment yesterday morning, which didn't start out as the highlight of my day, for obvious reasons. Doctor's appointments suck.

Regardless of my feelings, like a lot of women (you know who you are!) I dressed my best. I didn't think anything of it, until I passed the receptionist my insurance card and I caught the glimpse of our matching manicures. We then both looked up at each other and just giggled. When she passed my card back to me, she winked with a wing-lined eye and smiled. I smiled back.

Although I live in a large city, it's rare to find another vintage soul in my part of town, and part of me is kicking myself for not hanging around to talk to her, though admittedly that would have been a little awkward in my doctor's waiting room.

How often do you meet other enthusiasts? When you do, do you approach them? or just give an acknowledging smile?

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I met "cherry_bombb" from here. We've been BFFs ever since. Recently a woman named Connie came up to me in the parking lot one morning when I was walking into work. She practically jumped in front of me shouting "I LOVE VINTAGE!" It made my day. She told me she'd been "stalking" me for two weeks before she had the nerve to talk to me. lol I had no idea someone like Connie worked at the same place -- literally right under my nose (I'm in the 4th floor, she on the 3rd!) We are still good friends.

If I happen to see a fellow vintagista out in public I will certainly talk to them. I'm not shy about that stuff. I know deep down they're probably dying to meet someone of the same ilk, also. Although in Philly I don't see many vintage-y people :(

Lollipop

Familiar Face
Rarely do I ever...In fact, I don't think I have ever met anyone, who really enjoys Vintag.... It's like Vintage is...outlawed or something here..(Especially with the sideways glances I, personally, get.)

However, I have SEEN this guy dressed in his nifty vintage duds, walking down the road...Dunno if that actually counts as "meeting" as I never actually climbed out of the car to introduce myself...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Lollipop --- there's a few other Maine gals around the Lounge, but we seem to be awfully spread out. Not enough people in the whole state for any kind of an actual "scene," but maybe we could consider ourselves a scenelet.

Opas Coat

Familiar Face
Around this town, no, except for the odd soul that actually is "Vintage". I don't usually dress to the nines in that style, its usually the odd accent or feature. A jacket or hat.

SweetieStarr

A-List Customer
I have a friend from a past job that likes vintage, so we discuss things whenever we get together.

A few weeks ago I was in a restaurant that does a large amount of take-out business. There was a girl that was more rockabilly/psychobilly than I was dressed, but I could tell it was there. I started talking to her when I walked up to get my to-go box, and we had a whole conversation about how we set our hair. It was so exciting to meet someone randomly like that who is into similar things and we could talk about something like hair sets.

JennyLou

Practically Family
I meet vintage people when I go to reenacting events or other vintage events but hardly ever outside those events. When I was a music instructor at a high school I did meet another vintage enthusiasts who was the same age as I that was an instructor for another high school. We eventually became really, really good friends. That was the only time I that comes to my mind of me meeting another vintage enthusiast at a random event.

Lollipop

Familiar Face
LizzieMaine said:
Lollipop --- there's a few other Maine gals around the Lounge, but we seem to be awfully spread out. Not enough people in the whole state for any kind of an actual "scene," but maybe we could consider ourselves a scenelet.

Aye, I like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch