Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Melton -- "Art in Hats"

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I will be the first to admit that I really don't know much about Melton hats and their history. What I do know is that I have always been really impressed with Handlebar Bart's Melton fedora, which looks fantastic. A quick Google search does yield an article from 1934 referring to the Melton Hat Company. There is still much to learn.

This Melton fedora arrived today. I would call the color a light gray. Very nice 1 7/8" sweat. Open crown, the lid is 5 1/2", and the brim width is 2 1/2". The ribbon is 1 5/8" and the edge binding is 3/8". The felt on this lid is in beautiful condition -- it is medium thickness, and has a very nice softness and smoothness to it. In that sense, it is very reminiscent of the feel of a Stetson 3X fedora.

I think Melton has my favorite all-time signature line -- "Art in Hats." I love that. It appears on the sweat, as well as the liner, which is embroidered. Overall, a very nice lid.

I hope this thread will be a repository for Loungers to post their Melton lids, and to share any knowledge about the company. Handlebar Bart, you're on deck! :)

OpenCrown-21.jpg

Liner-21.jpg

Sweat-4.jpg

Logo-1.jpg

Melton1.jpg

Melton3.jpg

Melton2.jpg

Melton.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

carter

I'll Lock Up
This is sooo bad that I may as well get it out of the way.
Jimmy, That Melton is one hot lid. It has me meltin'.
[huh]

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
carter said:
This is sooo bad that I may as well get it out of the way.
Jimmy, That Melton is one hot lid. It has me meltin'.
[huh]

lol lol lol

Believe it or not, Carter, my original title for this thread was "The Melton Pot." :D

And thanks, Alucard. :)

Cheers,
JtL

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
The Melton Potlol lol

That is a beauty Jimmy.

Okay....now me.

Melton 10
6" open crown
2 1/2" brim
2" ribbon
1/2" ribbon bound edge

melton001.jpg

melton004.jpg

A nifty bow, I think
melton005.jpg

The coloring to the ribbon is not shadows. It has a kind of irredescents.

Chinaski

One Too Many
What a beautiful specimen - the elusive Melton. Let's hope many more are posted. I dig that liner and the slogan as well. Looks like a quality sweatband, also.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
melton006.jpg

Not as neat as Jimmys embroidered liner..I would guess his is an older hat[huh]
melton009.jpg

Melton logo, unlike Jimmys mine is white. Is it possible the gold embossing wore off of mine?[huh] The store logo is also white and the owners initials are gold.
melton010.jpg

Size tag

Also has the paper union tag under the sweat

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Very nice hats, guys.

I don't have any ads for Melton. They were obviously sold in NY, but do you have any idea where they were made?

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
No retail info on my lid. Bart -- can you describe the felt on your lid for us?

Yours is a real beauty. I love the irridescent ribbon thing, along with the unique bow treatment.

Cheers,
JtL

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
No retail info on my lid. Bart -- can you describe the felt on your lid for us?

Yours is a real beauty. I love the irridescent ribbon thing, along with the unique bow treatment.

Cheers,
JtL

Thanks Jimmy. It is a medium weight felt that is very pliable and soft to the touch. I dry bash it and while it holds the bash with no problem I can adjust it with ease. The brim is a touch stiffer, but you have to be touching both parts to really tell the difference.
I don't know whats up with the ribbon. It doesn't seem to be the effects of sweat because the felt and sweat are pristine-ish. I wonder if the ribbon always had that effect or if it is from age.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Nice hat! The sweatband tassel makes me think Hat Corp. made it, but I couldn't find any record of it.

Looks like Stevens tried to register the trademark after acquiring it from Stetson, but cancelled it. So, how long did Stetson own it? The records don't show.

Brad

bloodandmood

New in Town
I myself have a Melton fedora. I can't find much info about it, but it's a fine lid, definitely one of my favorites.

Inside the sweatband reads "Melton - Art In Hats" and "American Hatters - 34 Church Street - New Haven"

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

cookie

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
I will be the first to admit that I really don't know much about Melton hats and their history. What I do know is that I have always been really impressed with Handlebar Bart's Melton fedora, which looks fantastic. A quick Google search does yield an article from 1934 referring to the Melton Hat Company. There is still much to learn.

This Melton fedora arrived today. I would call the color a light gray. Very nice 1 7/8" sweat. Open crown, the lid is 5 1/2", and the brim width is 2 1/2". The ribbon is 1 5/8" and the edge binding is 3/8". The felt on this lid is in beautiful condition -- it is medium thickness, and has a very nice softness and smoothness to it. In that sense, it is very reminiscent of the feel of a Stetson 3X fedora.

I think Melton has my favorite all-time signature line -- "Art in Hats." I love that. It appears on the sweat, as well as the liner, which is embroidered. Overall, a very nice lid.

I hope this thread will be a repository for Loungers to post their Melton lids, and to share any knowledge about the company. Handlebar Bart, you're on deck! :)

OpenCrown-21.jpg

Liner-21.jpg

Sweat-4.jpg

Logo-1.jpg

Melton1.jpg

Melton3.jpg

Melton2.jpg

Melton.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

For a guy with the finest hats in the Lounge...that is the apogee...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana