Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mens suits etc 40R ish in size

bossracer

New in Town
I have a very nice Hart Schaffner and Marx 3 button, single vent suit. Pants have a single pleat and cuffs. This was originally purchased from Marathon Clothiers in Gainsville, TX. I bought it at a thrift store about 20 years ago. and it was vintage then. I'd say 50's. Lapels are small. It is a classy, conservitive suit. It looks great, and I wore it in style. But, as much as I don't want to admit it, I will never be the size I was at 23. I tried it on today, and it's not going to fit. I haven't worn it in at least a dozen years. There is some room to let out the jacket and pants. But it would still be too tight for me, I'm afraid. I need a 44 jacket these days.

There are no size tags anywhere in it. My best guess is about a 40R. Pants are close to a 34. They will not work on my 36+ gut today. I've never been skinny, and back when this fit well, I was 5'8" about 165 lbs. with about a 30 inch inseam.

The pattern is a very striking deep "charcol navy" if you will with subdued red pinstripes. Will send pics if you are intersted. There is "HSM 100" on the inside as well. Doesn't smell funky.

I did discover 2 small holes in it. About the size of a pin head, and another slightly smaller. Will need mended. No rips or tears. Not shiny from over cleaning. It is a really nice set.

$100 bucks

Also have 2 lightweight sport coats. Both plaid. One more olive green. The other a blue/green shade. Very cool. Again, never going to fit in them. They were my dad's in high school, and were probably hand-me-downs to him. So early 60's at the newest. Possibly late 50's. good shape.
$100 for both.

Full length Hart Schaffner and Marx trench coat. Well, it comes down to below my knee. So maybe 3/4 is better. It doesn't drag the ground. Size 42R. Definitetly larger than the above mentioned jackets. I can still wear this one. Has a zip in gold fleece liner. Perfect condition. Could be late 60's. Timeless classic. "Trumpeter Collection", if that means anything. Dark Navy.
$50 bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112