Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mid-Weight Leather Jacket Guidance Request

westportrich

One of the Regulars
Hi Gang, thought I'd come to the experts on this one. I'm in need of some expert guidance. I have a couple of Mid-Weight leather jackets and I really love them. I don't much care for the super thick type. So my question, what makers do nice mid-weight jackets? As an fyi, I have an ELMC (Eastman) Californian in brown that I love. I was thinking about getting the same one in black, but I'm holding off for the time being in hopes of finding something somewhat different just so that I don't have two of the exact same jackets. Whaddya think??

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would look at Thedi Leathers. He is making some of the most interesting jackets around at the moment, and he uses a wide variety of hides.

Schott, I guess, though it depends. Aero offers many options of mid-weight hides. There's Himel, Thedi as well and a number of Japanese makers. Langlitz used to have a mid-weight leather as an option, as well.

Robbie79

Call Me a Cab
I can also highly recommend Thedi! Their washed buffalo is very nice (not too heavy and not too light) and also their vintage goat but Theodoros has a wide selection of different hides including mid-weight horse hide

Lebowski

This guy has numerous complaints from sellers.
Aero Vicenza HH looks very nice, it has a bit different texture from Eastman HH though.

Pegasus is another option for light to mid-weight HH. Like Thedi, different and cool takes on classics.

Lit Up

One of the Regulars
The sheepskin is nice. I personally am not enamoured of sheepskin on a leather jacket because I want something that feels sturdy and will last a lifetime etc.

westportrich

One of the Regulars
I can also highly recommend Thedi! Their washed buffalo is very nice (not too heavy and not too light) and also their vintage goat but Theodoros has a wide selection of different hides including mid-weight horse hide
Thanks...Where would I find Theodoros??

Lit Up

One of the Regulars
I don't think you can. I know of no stockists in the UK for example. I think the same woman who stocks Aeros in America also stocks Thedi. I forgot the name of the site as I'm in the UK.

Peacoat

Bartender
You might take a look at Johnson Leathers in S.F. Most of their hides are around 3 to 3.5 oz. I have two of their offerings, and they are quality jackets.

Vanson, in the Boston area, has a healthy supply of dedicated MC jackets, but they also have streetwear jackets. I have their "competition weight" jacket, but that is more than you will want to deal with.

I have a Fox Creek MC jacket I am fond of. They also do streetwear jackets, and are located in Independence, Virginia. They are more reasonably priced than some of the others.

Good luck in your search.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
If you are looking for mid-weight - which is what I prefer - you are talking 2.2 oz to 2.5 oz leather. These are still pretty darn thick and and robust and more like the weight of vintage leather jackets.

Johnson Leathers has made two jackets for me in lighter hides - a 2.2 oz goat and 2.5 oz naked cowhide.

The problem here is the weather - it's generally too warm for leather and while I have owned many 3 oz and 3.5 oz jackets - I never get to wear them as they are too hot and uncomfortable feeling most months of the year.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have an ELMC (Eastman) Californian in brown that I love. I was thinking about getting the same one in black, but I'm holding off for the time being in hopes of finding something somewhat different just so that I don't have two of the exact same jackets. Whaddya think??

Eastman also do a great J-100 and 2 really nice cross zips styles (I have all 3 lol). If you fit their pattern and like their leather, you can't go wrong.

westportrich

One of the Regulars
Thedi is now my best friend after owning many different brand leather jackets. Go through Thurston Brothers for sizing and ordering if you are located in the US.
HD
Hoosier, talk to me...What can you say about these Thedi's...I'm intrigued, but before I dispose of 1300+ I want to continue my due diligence (plus its part of the fun for me).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk