Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Milk of Magnesia- anyone tried it?

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
There sems to be a fad of usign milk of magnesia as a mattifier and a massque- the reviews on make-up alley are good- but then there are lots of updates to say that after a few weeks they have painful spots! I used to use kaolin clay mixed with water and it was fanastic- I', torn between this and the magnesia- I don't want to break out.

I was wondering if anyone has tried this for greasy skin times? or tried a face scrub with bicarb of soda (both recomended by Paula Begoun)

Puzzicato

One Too Many
I really like an occasional bicarb scrub! I find it quite drying, but my skin feels so smooth afterwards!

I've never tried milk of magnesia, but I've used kaolin clay masques, which tend to draw out impurities in my skin so I break out a few days later, but in the end my skin is much clearer.

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
I've just started to use Milk of Magnesia as a primer, which is genius - I always found that my skin was too oily, and I had to reapply base throughout the day, but it's really cut down on my mid-day sheen, as it were.

I wouldn't use it every day, as I imagine it blocks your pores, but every once in a while it seems okay. I'll let you know if I have any problems with it xx

Smuterella

One Too Many
KittyT said:
How does one do a bicarb scrub? Just bicarb and water?

Yup, I just mix it into a paste in my hand with a little water and rub it in a circular motion over my face, avoiding my hairline, and then rinse off.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Smuterella said:
Yup, I just mix it into a paste in my hand with a little water and rub it in a circular motion over my face, avoiding my hairline, and then rinse off.

That is how I do it too.

Bicarb is great stuff - our jar has migrated from the kitchen to the bathroom and is currently in the conservatory (our rainwater is a bit acid, so my husband has been using it to bring up the pH a little for the plants).

HepKitty

One Too Many
it seemed to help the oil problem for about a week and then it stopped helping. maybe every day wasn't such a good idea

NaHCO3 is good stuff, also good for laundry. will have to try it as a scrub

TillyMilly

One of the Regulars
Bicarbonate of soda is used in cooking, baking especially I think- you can also use it in household cleaning and for a few home made remedies. It's a useful standby to keep in the home.

You will find tubs of it in the baking isle in the supermarket. It's quite inexpensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points