Miller-alliare Co.

Discussion in 'Hats' started by splintercellsz, Sep 13, 2017.

1. splintercellsz

splintercellsz I'll Lock Up

Reasearch shows this company name being used From the early 1900s - 1920s timeframe.

Miller started out contracting Stetson to make thier hats and after that partnership fell apart in 1908, Schoble made Miller's hats. It is believed Schoble made hats for Miller through the mid 20s or so. Miller-Alliare is more than likely a business venture with Miller and the Alliare hat company, but I will do my best to research deeper.

This ad is from 1907, and the modern photo is from the street address given

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

2. splintercellsz

Welworth

This old western has a beautifully executed pencil-curl brim treatment.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

3. splintercellsz

This hat belonged to Dinerman, found the photos researching the company [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

4. splintercellsz

It appears the company changed addresses at some point during their company lifetime, as Dinerman's example shows 721 Broadway, and the 1907 Advertisement shows 623 Broadway

Here is 721 Broadway[​IMG]

DOGMAN, mayserwegener and Redfokker like this.
  5. splintercellsz

it appears that in the 1980s, Tisch School of the Arts moved into 721 Broadway[​IMG][​IMG]

mayserwegener and Redfokker like this.
  6. Mustang Mike's Hats

Mustang Mike's Hats A-List Customer

LOVE that sweatband ribbon. Wish they still made them like that. I also see that the sweatband isn't sewn, but appears to have been taped or glued together??? Can one of you awesome vintage gents expound on that?

[​IMG]

RJR and DOGMAN like this.
  7. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Side Note:

Frank Allaire was the American representative for Brüder Böhm in the 1930s. In special cases he used his trademark. A large part of the import business was with Jobbers. It was very difficult importing hats / felt because of trade issues of the time. All three of the Nový Jičín (Neutitschein) hat companies were suppliers (hats and felt (Hoods, Capelines), machinery, accessories) to American hat companies including The American Hat Company and Stetson.

Frank Allaire Co. Inc. New York (Old Hat Liner Print Plates Found Near Štramberk Czech Republic)

[​IMG]

BB finishing machines that were installed at Hat Corp of America in the late 1930s.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/7-brüder-böhm-hutfabrik/#entry570

Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    DOGMAN, Redfokker, moehawk and 2 others like this.
  8. splintercellsz

many vintage hats have a taped sweatband seam pre-1940s. there are a few threads dedicated to the older examples that have great images

DOGMAN and Redfokker like this.
  9. splintercellsz

super interesting, thank you!!

Redfokker and mayserwegener like this.
  10. mayserwegener

mayserwegener

Frank Allaire battled Congress regarding tariffs on imported felt bodies / hats (specifically Austrian Velours) but he never got anywhere. I believe he lasted into the 1950s and had other ventures that I can't remember. He was definitely any interesting "Hat / Felt Business" character.

DOGMAN, Redfokker and splintercellsz like this.
  11. alanfgag

alanfgag

excellent!