Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MILLIONAIRE'S tailored 1942 Midnight Blue tuxedo / dinner suit for New Year...(pics)

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Custom hand made for a very famous cotton KING..multi millionaire Golden Era businessman/farmer in California by the name of J.G.Boswell., AKA..known as THE KING OF CALIFORNIA;)

Thanks to my good friend FedoraGent I am now the latest custodian of this custom made 'midnight blue' suit from Feb 42, belonging to a cotton baron working out of Los Angeles, and it's in 'like new' condition and fits to a tee. Sported it for the first time on NYE 08/09 and it fits like it was made for me. The blue is so dark that it is almost black to the naked eye. Lovely SB.

Here is a quote on the book that is out on this famous man, THE KING OF CALIFORNIA, about JG Boswell...

The King of California: J. G. Boswell and the Making of a Secret American Empire
by Mark Arax and Rick Wartzman

ISBN13: 9781586480288
ISBN10: 1586480286

Synopses & Reviews
Publisher Comments
:
J. G. Boswell is the biggest farmer in America. Over the past fifty years he has built a secret empire while thumbing his nose at nature, politicians, labor unions and every journalist who ever tried to lift the veil on the ultimate "factory in the fields." Now eighty years old, with an almost pathological bent toward privacy, Boswell has spent the past few years confiding one of the great stories of the American West to Mark Arax and Rick Wartzman. The King of California is the previously untold account of how a Georgia slave-owning family migrated to California in the early 1920s,drained one of America 's biggest lakes in an act of incredible hubris and carved out the richest cotton empire in the world. Indeed, the sophistication of Boswell 's agricultural operation — from lab to field to gin — is unrivaled anywhere.
Much more than a business story, this is a sweeping social history that details the saga of cotton growers who were chased from the South by the boll weevil and brought their black farmhands to California. It is a gripping read with cameos by a cast of famous characters, from Cecil B. DeMille to Cesar Chavez.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
IF this tux could only talk..what a story!! (pic)

Also what makes this really interesting is its pedigree and history in the USA. What a story this suit could tell of its encounters with famous people and the deals it has seen done:eek:

-extractedonwhitecanvas-1.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Great outfit (with you and I being about the same size.... watch yer back, eh? :p ;) ). My current black tie wardrobe includes an early 40s db peak lapel, and a 30s shawl collar sb.... I do feel the absence of a sb peak lapel, though - not to mention that mine are all black. Those artificial-light photos really show how true the "blacker than black" adage is.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
If this tux could talk . . .

PADDY said:
Also what makes this really interesting is its pedigree and history in the USA. What a story this suit could tell of its encounters with famous people and the deals it has seen done:eek:
It wouldn't! What a story!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
wow beautiful...

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap Paddy honey, if I could wolf whistle I would.You are quite the dapper gent in this. Yes sir, garb from 1939-1946 is right up my vintage alley! You sure find the best stuff... with this and now the PB dinner jacket too- sigh. There is a big band era singer out here named Peter Vilkin who sings with the Black Tie Jazz Orchestra. The first time I saw BTJO perform he wore a gorgeous midnight blue vintage tux... I never forgot that look.

PADDY said:

-extractedonwhitecanvas-1.jpg

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thankyou kindly :)

I dare say this suit has a few nefarious tales to tell behind the doors of the rich-and-famous! I cannot believe just how immaculate it is and YES...it fits me like a glove (a strange sort of possession is coming over me!! :eek: ).

I just need 'more' formal events to go to and black tie evenings to strut ma stuff!!!;)

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Like I now say...

"If we have the clothes, I'll find us an event to wear 'em to." Those events are out there Paddy! And they are waiting for a dapper gent such as yourself to attend them, bringing your inimitable style and charm to add to the event!

If you can't afford them all, do what we are starting to do- volunteer at them to get a free ticket. Groups are always thankful to have hard working volunteers, and will comp your ticket for helping.

Case in point, with being a social ballroom dancer and Chuck owning a tux and a tail coat- I've got amassed a very small but very nice collection of full length modern evening gowns. I've worn them to the symphony, dances, opera, art deco events, holidays, and the like.

Just this last season, Fall 2008-May 31, 2009 I've ended up as a volunteer and Liaison for the California Pops Orchestra. The new venue for their Sunday concerts are in our church's theater seating newly remodeled worship center. I'm the Liaison between the Worship, Media and Creative Arts Pastor at VCC and the CA Pops Conductor. The PERFECT volunteer job for me! I wear a different evening gown to each Sunday concert, and to the Saturday concerts I also sometimes attend too. It was my conversations with them, and putting these two men together that brought the Orchestra here as their new venue. I proudly say I have my own orchestra!

When we had friends over for a open house at the end of last year, one gal we've know for many years at church during the house tour (its a short tour, its a small house!) said when we got to our bedroom and saw the mirrored closet doors ,"I wanna see them." "See what?" I replied. "The gowns, I want to see all your evening gowns in your closet.":)

PADDY said:
I dare say this suit has a few nefarious tales to tell behind the doors of the rich-and-famous! I cannot believe just how immaculate it is and YES...it fits me like a glove (a strange sort of possession is coming over me!! :eek: ).

I just need 'more' formal events to go to and black tie evenings to strut ma stuff!!!;)

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
AMEN Miss Sis...

I play dressup in them, sometimes just trying them on for fun, looking in the mirror or walking around in the bedroom in them. Thinking about which one I could wear to what event next...

Always on "the hunt", when I go shopping at certain stores for whatever reason, I always go to the evening gowns section...

Miss Sis said:
:eek:fftopic: I love standing at my wardrobe looking at all my evening dresses. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points