Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Missing Java Sea WWII Wrecks

Otter

One Too Many
Surprisingly only the Renown and the Repulse are listed as UK war graves. There was a thread on this over on the combined fleet discussion board, but yes, wholesale scrapping has been going on for a while. I read an interesting thread about Mercury being salvaged from a wrecked U-boat near Pennang in the 70's. I think that was over on uboat.net.

Otter

One Too Many
Strategic resource which Japan was short of but Germany had in reasonable abbundance. Used as fulminate of Mercury in explosive primers. There is another U-boat off Sweden with a similar cargo. The Swedish navy monitor it for environmental contamination.

MikeKardec

One Too Many
Hmm. Is it possible that a current industrial power that did not have a steel industry prior to the beginning of atmospheric nuclear testing needed some "low background" steel for radiation detection devices? We get into thriller plot territory when we start thinking about a government needing this steel for something secret!

Cooper A-2

Practically Family
Surprisingly only the Renown and the Repulse are listed as UK war graves. There was a thread on this over on the combined fleet discussion board, but yes, wholesale scrapping has been going on for a while. I read an interesting thread about Mercury being salvaged from a wrecked U-boat near Pennang in the 70's. I think that was over on uboat.net.

There is another German U-Boot 40 miles east of Surabaya/Indonesia, its in 140 feet deepth.
Approx the half of the crew survived.
Indonesia does not permit to dive on it. I tried last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112