Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mitchum Block

STHill

One of the Regulars
OK, guys, a newbie question: What's a Mitchum block? I have gathered it's an Optimo trade name for a certain shape, but what does it look like? Anybody have any pictures? Thanks for indulging a new guy.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Originally posted by STHill
OK, guys, a newbie question: What's a Mitchum block? I have gathered it's an Optimo trade name for a certain shape, but what does it look like? Anybody have any pictures? Thanks for indulging a new guy.

It is just the name that Optimo gives to their block, one of them anyway.

Think: Robert Mitchum, perhaps?

I have several with this block, and I then exaggerate the "tear drop" shape of the Mitchum for my taste. I think the "Mitchum" just doesn't have a tight pinch.

Call Optimo 773-238-2999 and ask Graham or Kevin..they would be happy to tell you what they have as their "standard" blocks, and I bet they will tell you that they can do anything your heart desires.

Rundquist

A-List Customer
It?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s like Andykev says, the ?¢‚Ǩ?ìMitchum?¢‚Ǩ? is just a trade name for one of Optimo?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s block types. After the hat is blocked, it still can be creased differently. All three of these hats are Mitchum blocks, but you can see that the Silver one at the bottom is creased differently than the other two. Cheers

P1010013copy-vi.jpg

2copy-vi.jpg

P1010004-vi.jpg

P1010008-vi.jpg

P1010008-vi.jpg

P1010018-vi.jpg

P1010004-vi.jpg

P1010006-vi.jpg

STHill

One of the Regulars
Thanks, Rundquist, that is exactly what I wanted to know.

By the way, those hats, especially with the turned-up brim, look great on you. That look doesn't work for everybody, but you were made for it.

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
Those hats depicted with the "Mitchum block" look to me like felt versions of the panama he wore in "Cape Fear." In Mitchum's signature 40s noir, "Out of the Past," he wore his fedora with an interesting, rakish uplift on the brim, so that it almost snapped side to side instead of down in front and up in back.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
OK, guys, this is my first venture onto this newly remodeled and confusing site. How can I post a photo of Robert Mitchum in a fedora?

Don't see the place where I download.

karol

Canadave

One Too Many
new, not confusing

It's only confusing because you're not used to it. It's not inherantly confusing. You can no longer upload pics from your computer...you have to link to a pic hosting site like photobucket.

David

Canadave

One Too Many
I don't know that site exactly, but here's how others work. You upload the file to the site (pretty easy), then, when you click on the photo it enlarges and you copy the URL (address) that results from that enlargement. That is the URL that you use for the "Insert Image" function on the Lounge.

Hope that helps,

David

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I've got the image on photobucket, but there is no place on this screen that states I can insert an image.

It states at the bottom of the page that I may not post attachments.

Where do I go on this page to insert a picture?

Thanks, karol

Canadave

One Too Many
When you've got the "reply" box open and you're typing your response, you should see a row of icons above, that include B, I, U etc. If you follow them along to one that looks like a mountain with a yellow sky, point to it and it should read "insert attachment". Click on that and a box will open. Insert a word or words to describe the image (like "click here" or "hat" etc.), then another box will open and you paste the URL there.

Hope that helps. I'm leaving shortly for a few days, and will have limited access to the interweb, so may not be able to reply again quickly if you need more help.

Good luck,

David

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Ok, Thanks David, I will try now to do that.

Let's if it came up, if it did there will be a photo of Rovert Mitchum in what might be a Mitchum block. If no imagine, I will keep trying.

karol

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
OK, I will have to wait until a friend comes over, because there is nothing on the Photobucket site that tells me how to cut or copy or paste or whatever I do onto the Fedora Lounge site, and nothing comes up but some wording when I type in the URL from Photobucket.

I have never used the cut, copy and paste function, mostly I write on the word processor, play simple games, email, surf and occasionally download.

I guess I am just too old to be on this site. It has me depressed, so will wait for someone younger than me to come over and see if she can figure it out. If not, I am toast.

I liked it better when I could at least download from my computer.

Anyway, it's a neat photo, sorry I can't show it to you-all.

karol

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
PS If anyone would like to see and/or post the photo themselves, please email me at klight@cts.com and I will send you the photo.

If you can get it on this thread, I would be happy to supply it.

Thanks, karol

and happy holidays to all of you

Sergei

Gone Home
I will try to help...

Karol,
The way you post pictures is first you upload to your photo posting service. In your case it is photobucket. After it is uploaded, you need to find the address that your picture is located. In photobucket, I believe there is a link page that display the address of your photo. You copy that address by highlighting the entire address and hitting "ctrl C" or going to Edit (on top of the browser toolbar) and selecting "COPY". That puts the text of what you highlighted into the so called, *clipboard*.

Then when you are ready to post here in the Fedoralounge you make sure that you surround your image address by the so called begin image and end image tags.
The begin image tag is :

So you put the address of your image inside the begin and end image tags by doing a CNTRL V or selecting Edit (on top of your browser toolbar) and selcting "Paste". That puts the text from the clipboard back to where your cursor is located.

I hope that helps.

-Sergei

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, Sergie, to you and CanadaDave; you have been quite helpful. I've got your intricate instructions now and will try tomorrow, with a younger techie friend watching over me, to see if I can do it right. When I have done it once correctly, there will probably be no problem in the future.

I appreciate the help. Lets see if I can get the photo posted tomorrow.

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112