Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mod suit?

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Ghos7a55assin-
it seems that the use of "Mod Suit" has been thrown around a little on eBay.
When I think Mod Suit, I'm thinking 1960s, narrow single breasted 2 button suit, narrow lapels, skinny, tapered legs and in fine mohair or that blend referred to as "sharkskin", with the irridescent or "tonic" effect, that fabric with a "shot silk" effect, where you can see one colour in one direction and another when you look at the fabric from the opposite side or whichever side the light is coming from. That kind of thing, or a DB suit with a really high closure, maybe 8 buttons! Think Austin Powers without the velvet and ruffles. Think narrow, drainpipe legs and winklepicker boots and cuban heels.
Have you seen Quadraphenia, the movie based on the Who's album? This is the Mods VS Rockers, Brighton '60s thing. That's what I think of as "Mod", rather than the '70 stuff...
BellyT.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
More like this?

047.jpg

07.jpg

Wild Root

Gone Home
You can see Dick Van Dike wear these suits on the Dick Van Dike show. This suit was VERY popular in the late 50's and went on through the 60's. I'm not a big fan of them my self. You know me, earlier stuff suits me best.

Root.

Blackjack

One Too Many
That's "ginchiest" Matt! lol... I like Shags works too Lauren, I swing into that early 60's skinny suit Rat Pack look every once in a while. It's just like the 40's look, it's an attitude and can be a lot of fun depending on where your going with it.

Blackjack

One Too Many
No, no, I didn't mean the "styles" were the same, I was refering to myself dressing in period type suits, that's whats the same, as far as the attitude of wanting to project that image in the way I dress weather it's a 1940's look or a 1960's look. Face it, all of us are playing the part when we don that fedora and go out into the public because it is not the "popular" way to dress today. We are making a statement to people even if that statement is as simple as "Hey, I just feel more comfortable in clothes from this decade" it's still a statement and weather you look like Bogie standing outside of that SF detective agency or Austin Powers I say "Swing on brother, variety is the spice of life!"

Wild Root

Gone Home
Oh, Ok, I understand now. Thanks for clearing that up.

My self, I can't really pull off the 60's look. I'm to tall, and those skinny pants make me look like Frankenstein. Here's to the the men that can make that look work! Because, it sure isn't me. LOL

Root.

Blackjack

One Too Many
Well one things for sure. I don't think there has ever been a decade with more comfortable clothing styles than the 1940's. Everything from suits to Army BDU's look as if they have that comfy flannel PJ look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ