Modern corrugated sweatband

Discussion in 'Hats' started by mikespens, Feb 3, 2013.

1. mikespens

mikespens Call Me a Cab

Thought this was cool enough to warrant a new thread. Most of us have seen or own a vintage Borsalino with the corrugated sweatband feature. Here's an example, it's the green part between the crown and sweatband at the bottom of the pix:

[​IMG]

I have a Panama Bob Cuenca that I ordered too big and took to Bob Jesse at Black Sheep Hat Works for a new leather sweatband and ribbon. Despite his best efforts to reduce it to fit it was always slightly too big on me. Bob did not give up though. I was going to sacrifice the hat to be the crown in a Duplex hat project (another story) but telling Bob it was one of my favorite hats despite the fact it didn't fit he took up the challenge again and handmade a corrugated cardboard fixture like borsy used to do. To my relief it worked and the hat fits perfectly now. A testament to a great hatter.

The hat:

[​IMG]

The corrugation is hard to see but it's the black space between the crown and sweatband:

[​IMG]

Better view under the sweatband:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2013
  2. memphislawyer

memphislawyer Practically Family

Hat looks great. Glad he could do the work so you can enjoy it.

3. rlk

rlk I'll Lock Up

Looks good, but I hope it is fabric and not cardboard which would break down when soaked with sweat.

4. navarre

navarre Vendor

No worries Robert. The corrugation is lacquered for water resistance.