Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern corrugated sweatband

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Thought this was cool enough to warrant a new thread. Most of us have seen or own a vintage Borsalino with the corrugated sweatband feature. Here's an example, it's the green part between the crown and sweatband at the bottom of the pix:

IMG_0277.jpg

I have a Panama Bob Cuenca that I ordered too big and took to Bob Jesse at Black Sheep Hat Works for a new leather sweatband and ribbon. Despite his best efforts to reduce it to fit it was always slightly too big on me. Bob did not give up though. I was going to sacrifice the hat to be the crown in a Duplex hat project (another story) but telling Bob it was one of my favorite hats despite the fact it didn't fit he took up the challenge again and handmade a corrugated cardboard fixture like borsy used to do. To my relief it worked and the hat fits perfectly now. A testament to a great hatter.

The hat:

IMG_0351_zps0aacb174.jpg

The corrugation is hard to see but it's the black space between the crown and sweatband:

IMG_0352_zpsb8107002.jpg

Better view under the sweatband:

IMG_0353_zpsb6722026.jpg

Last edited:

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Looks good, but I hope it is fabric and not cardboard which would break down when soaked with sweat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112