Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Man- Upside down...

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
I saw a guy today- he had the typical getup- low-waisted pleated slacks and a tie that reached beyond his belt.
The upside-down effect- l-o-n-g torso, short legs, even worse if you wear light coloured pants with a dark shirt,
or have a belly pushing the pants down.
I used to have a boss who made the same blunder but accentuated it by his choice of bold-striped business shirts- exaggerating the illusion.

In the day, as we know, trouser waists were high and ties were short.
That was the way to do it- a far better, more manly illusion.
Oh yeah.
B
T

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I need all the help I can get, as I already have naturally stubby legs. Don't need short-rise pants to accentuate them!:)

Brad

BellyTank said:
So... Mr.JP- you're the short-legs belly type...?
Don't like the classic vintage mens' style?

What the...?
B
T

Uh no. I was saying that people today look like clowns dressed the way you described previously. The high waisted pants work fine for me. So do the suspenders.
Are you sure you don't have a McDonalds over there? :p

Regards to all,

J

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
OK Mr.P-
Unfortunately, yes we are plagued with the Golden Arses over here.

From the way you answered, I thought you were referring to a Clown's high trousers and too short tie in the derogatory of the vintage.
I wasn't familiar with McD's attire.
Rondal McDondal appears to be wearing a boiler suit/coveralls.
Can't see a tie on him.

B
T

He used to look different a while back. This incarnation is supposed to be more hip. He just looks stupid if you ask me. Perhaps I should have said Hamburglar. He used to wear a long tie---polka dotted if I remember right. He had a striped something or other on though. Low pants too.
Hamburglar.jpg

I just don't know how many people will remember him. :p

Regards to all,

J

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Braces

BellyTank said:
I'm getting there myself- Mr.B-
-as the belly inflates, the trousers descend, the legs diminish...
B
T
And braces (suspenders) can be a double-edged sword. They avoid the belly-pushing-the-pants-down thing, but get it wrong, and you're Fred Sanford

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
It can be the same long body effect with braces- I saw a sales training video once- the guy had low pleat pants, TOO long tie- about 2" past his waist.... and suspenders. He was transformed into: Very Tall Torso maaaaan... and his trusty companions: Stumpy Leggoids.
I remember all the guys in the seminar room commenting on his too-long tie, it was unanimous....
People need to understand the illusions they create with vertical and horizontal things...

Ac-centuate the positive, E-liminate the negative and don't mess with Mr. in-between...

B
T

matei

One Too Many
When I was younger I used to laugh at people who had their trousers up high... Now I am one of them. You are spot on about the long torso/stumpy legs bit.

As someone with a rather ample midriff, I am a wee bit concerned that high-waisted trousers might make me look like a cross between a weeble (anyone remember those?) or a bowling pin... but I usually have a jacket so it isn't that bad. At least me wife hasn't said anything yet, so I know it must be ok. ;-)

Dr. Shocker

One of the Regulars
i too love the high waited trousers.....and if the pants fit right I don't feel to self concous of my growing mid.....but I have always enjoyed wearing my ties long.....I never got into short and fat but I think its cause I never found any I really liked so i stick with rails slung low.......its a bit odd but then again look I am wearing a fezz
<-----------

fountwriter

New in Town
I simply wear a vest to hide the unfortunately ever-expanding mid-section.
I don't feel dressed when I go out if I am sans hat and vest.

Dr. Shocker, I also enjoy the smoking jacket and fez look, especially while enjoying a nice briar. I guess I'm a rich weirdo at heart (I just wish I had the money to go with the persona).

Adam

matei said:
When I was younger I used to laugh at people who had their trousers up high... Now I am one of them. You are spot on about the long torso/stumpy legs bit.

As someone with a rather ample midriff, I am a wee bit concerned that high-waisted trousers might make me look like a cross between a weeble (anyone remember those?) or a bowling pin... but I usually have a jacket so it isn't that bad. At least me wife hasn't said anything yet, so I know it must be ok. ;-)

Boy, I sure can relate. My great uncle Joe used to wear his pants that way with suspenders. My father even used to say things like "high pockets." Now I know that it was just a function of the time he grew up in. He never adapted to anything else. I suppose I am the high pockets now. :p It is just a much cleaner look that you can get away with when wearing a jacket or vest.
"Weebles Wobble but they don't fall down." :p

Regards to all,

J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points