Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stetson Stratoliner Milan {modern}

JoeyC

One of the Regulars
Assuming that spring is really going to come this year, I'm thinking about warm weather hats. And the milan stratoliner seems very attractive.

My question is about size. I'm a 59.5 cm, right between 7 3/8 and 7 1/2. In was in a men's store recently trying on milan straw hats, and most the 7 1/2 hats were HUGE on me. Are milan hats easy to stretch a half size? And do they hold? Or would a larger hat somehow shrink down to fit? Just curious what experience any of you have had.

My Stetson Milan Strat fits perfect, I'm a 71/8. I find hats for me anyhow, tend to shrink a bit. I suppose you could stretch a milan, I sometimes have to stretch my felts if not worn in a while. If your between sizes I would err on the larger side.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
We can go through our hats and pick a large 7 3/8 or a tight 7 1/2 we do that all the time for customers.

Jeff

Assuming that spring is really going to come this year, I'm thinking about warm weather hats. And the milan stratoliner seems very attractive.

My question is about size. I'm a 59.5 cm, right between 7 3/8 and 7 1/2. In was in a men's store recently trying on milan straw hats, and most the 7 1/2 hats were HUGE on me. Are milan hats easy to stretch a half size? And do they hold? Or would a larger hat somehow shrink down to fit? Just curious what experience any of you have had.

javadave61

Practically Family
We can go through our hats and pick a large 7 3/8 or a tight 7 1/2 we do that all the time for customers.

Jeff

Thanks! I appreciate the help. I placed my order and put my size info in the special instructions. It's great to know you guys can add the personal touch. Looking forward to seeing i!

javadave61

Practically Family
Java,

When you buy a hat from Jeff you can't go wrong, customer service at its best !!!
That's why I pulled the trigger with Jeff. Earlier in the day, I contacted another seller about the size issue, only to get this response: "I‘m sorry but I don’t get involved with these types of decisions. Right or wrong it’s yours to make." Why would I throw down my hard earned money for a gamble like that? Customer service makes a big difference.

Thanks Jeff!

Chamuco

I'll Lock Up
That's why I pulled the trigger with Jeff. Earlier in the day, I contacted another seller about the size issue, only to get this response: "I‘m sorry but I don’t get involved with these types of decisions. Right or wrong it’s yours to make." Why would I throw down my hard earned money for a gamble like that? Customer service makes a big difference.

Thanks Jeff!
Indeed my friend, indeed

javadave61

Practically Family
Well, ironically, on a snowy day here in PA, my Milan Stratoliner arrived. Thanks Jeff and the folks at DelMonico Hatters for helping me find the right size. The hat is a "loose" 7 3/8, and there's just enough extra room to account for a little shrinkage, should it occur. Love it! The side dents were very small and high on the crown, so I tweaked those. The brim is a challenge. It's a bit wavy when snapped down. But I like the brim up look if I can minimize the up swoop on the front, which I tried to do.

Is it bad form to wear a new straw hat in snow? I may try that out today. :cool:

11102766_10206449029686138_735980545821312951_n.jpg

10434367_10206449029726139_6121068859953622112_n.jpg

11096600_10206449029646137_5654315574773043945_n.jpg

T Rick

Practically Family
Like your new Strat, it looks good. I plan to pick up that color this year. Got the gray two years ago and love it. I replaced my pin with a reproduction, don't care for the current issue Stetson pin myself, but to each their own. Sizing in my case ran true, I ordered my usual 7 1/8 and it fits perfectly.

AndyR

One of the Regulars
Great looking hat Dave. Yesterday I saw the Milan in the video on the Optimo site in Chicago. I like the look. No way can I afford their hats though. I was just looking. Just curious...you say a loose 7 3/8. Is that your normal size and you say their 7 3/8 fits loose? I'm 7/38 and have been reluctant about ordering something and expecting 7/38 to actually fit true to size.

Andy

javadave61

Practically Family
Like your new Strat, it looks good... I replaced my pin with a reproduction, don't care for the current issue Stetson pin.

Thanks Rick. I'm just so happy to have any Strat pin at all that I can't bare to touch it. Though I do understand the quality of the pin has changed/declined over the years.

I still wonder if I should gotten the gray. It's beautiful. And this "sand" color is a bit lighter than I was expecting. The grass is always greener... (or grayer.)

Is that your normal size and you say their 7 3/8 fits loose? I'm 7/38 and have been reluctant about ordering something and expecting 7/38 to actually fit true to size.

I'm between a 7 3/8 and a 7 1/2 and feared getting a hat too large or too small. But through recommendations here, I ordered from DelMonico Hatters since Jeff (a few posts back) said they would find me a loose 7 3/8 or a tight 7 1/2. This 7 3/8 fits perfectly. If you order through them, just tell them in the "special instructions" section that you are a true 7 3/8 and I imagine the right hat will arrive at your door.

Asmo

One of the Regulars
About the pins - I don't know if it's been covered or not, but there seem to be two different pins on modern Stratoliners. The one you show in your picture, and this one.
26fb9d815497eeecc1d843fcdb83a97f.jpg

This one is on my modern Premier Stratoliner but I have seen your pin on Premiers for sale on various sites. JJ Hat Center, for example shows both on their pictures of different color hats. I'm confused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About the pins - I don't know if it's been covered or not, but there seem to be two different pins on modern Stratoliners. The one you show in your picture, and this one.
26fb9d815497eeecc1d843fcdb83a97f.jpg

This one is on my modern Premier Stratoliner but I have seen your pin on Premiers for sale on various sites. JJ Hat Center, for example shows both on their pictures of different color hats. I'm confused.

This pin is closer to the original, which was not really a Stratoliner plane. The first pins on modern HatCo Stetson Stratoliners were the correct planes but not correct for the hat pin....lots to read in the Lounge about the Strat pins...

Asmo

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the info. It's very interesting. I'll dig around and see what I find.

verdeo

New in Town
I just received two straw hats from DelMonico hatter that fit very nicely, thanks to this thread and the personal help from Jeff. I now have added my 1st and 2nd Stetson straw hats...a Stratoliner in sand and a lovely fold-able 47. These both fit me well ..and the 47 was a great surprise in that it is much more refined and classy than I had expected!

Ordered last Tuesdays morning..had them both on Friday! Thanks so much for your help, Jeff! Will get pics later if I can figure out how that works.

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up

Thanks Jeff!

I know this is an old post but I cannot agree more

the very way that I chose who I am going to buy my hat from is not by the price but by the way they respond when I email and call with questions and concerns.

I have bought from Delmonico twice ... one being a recent purchase of the Milan Strat in sand being discussed ... and the customer service was patient, thorough, and top notch

Last edited:

rclark

Call Me a Cab
I recently purchased a modern Hemp Milan Strat and I really like it a lot. The main downside for me is that it does not come in all sizes. Its a really nice hat. Now I'm waiting for the Milan Open Road that they appear to be working on!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk