Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Swing/Jazz Orchestras and Groups

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thought I'd start a companion thread to Hannigan Reilly's vintage music thread, and put it here in the Obs. Bar arther than 'The Golden Era,' as I want to discuss modern Swing/jazz groups.

Do you have favourite combos in your home towns and cities, and do you see them often? Here in Sydney, there is a brilliant 13-piece orchestra called the Brad Child Orchestra, led by a great saxophonist and clarinettist named, of course, Brad Child. His lead trombonist Dan Barnett also leads a big band, which is very popular. Show-stopper sidemen include drummer Andrew Dickerson, pianist Peter Locke, and alto sax wailer Nick B Hempton.

Powerhouse would enjoy seeing violin master George Washingmachine join up with guitarist Ian Date to perform classic Reinhardt/Stephane Grapelli numbers and arrangements of other songs performed in that vein. These guys are a must to see whenever they play.

Janet Seidel is a classy vocalist in the big band style, and sounds very much like Doris Day. She often teams up with a tenor sax man named Ben Jones and guitarist Chuck Morgan to create atmospheric shows that always sell out well before the performance date.

Another favourite big band is the Mell-o-tones, who perform regular shows at the Hayden Orpheum theatre and the Sydney Town Hall - what a 1930's sound!

There is also a big band led by drummer John Morison called Swing City, who can play great at times but who mostly water down their music for the ballroom dance crowd who do a very poor imitation of real 'jive' and who can't dance for peanuts. Hence their music is often slowed down to the point that it robs the tunes of their original spark and energy.

Lastly, I come to the Kings of Swing, a favourite at jazz festivals and various jazz venues. This group is made up of mostly veteran players; one of the tenor saxophonists is 83 years young, and played in venues during the war that my Dad used to dance in!

For those interested in Sydney jazz, check out www.janetseidel.com and
www.danbarnett.com.au for info on these artists.

So who do you dig when it comes to live jazz?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana