Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Trouser Reference Thread

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Modern trousers with vintage characteristics can be difficult to find at good prices. So, post any modern trousers you think are 'vintage' in characteristics and tell us what you both like and dislike about them. Grade them for us.

First up, these newly acquired "Stafford" brand trou. Originally $60, they were on sale for $30 at J.C. Penny.

trou001.jpg

trou002.jpg

Cut-
As can be seen, these are cut full with little taper to them. 9" diameter leg at the cuff. 1 1/2" wide cuff. In the photo they are being worn right at my navel so they have decent rise. Also, they have no lining.

Fabric-
35% wool, 65% polyester blend. Comfortable enough against skin. Machine washable, easily wrinkles. Light-weight for warm weather wear. Cream-coolered. Drape is not great even for light-weight fabric.

Notes-
Has belt loops but no suspender buttons. Pleated. Also has an elastic waistband.

Grade-
B
I give it high marks for the full cut, wide legs and the decent rise. Also good marks for the ability to wash them in the machine. However, they loose some points for the poorly draping thin fabric and lack of any lining (though they are warm weather trousers and must sacrifice in some areas to remain cool). Also lost some points for the lack of suspender buttons but this is prevalent in most modern trou.
Overall I am happy with this purchase and am looking forward to wearing them in the summer. I've always been on the lookout for good white dress trousers and finally found it in these.

Next, "Claiborne" brand trou. Originally $55, on sale for $30 at Younkers.

trou003.jpg

trou005.jpg

trou004.jpg

Cut-
Full cut with practically no taper to them. 9" diameter leg at the cuff. 1" wide cuff. In the photo they are being worn right at my navel so they have decent rise.

Fabric-
100% polyester. Comfortable against skin. Machine washable. Note the herringbone weave which is very visible when worn. Light-weight fabric good for warm weather. Even though it is light-weight it drapes well.

Notes-
Has belt loops but no suspender buttons. Pleated.

Grade-
B+
I give it high marks for the full cut, wide legs and the decent rise. Also good marks for the ability to wash them in the machine. Good marks for its decent drape for a light-weight fabric. Low mark for a skimpy 1" cuff as well as the lack of suspender buttons.
I've been able to wear these trousers quite a bit in the last month and am happy with them. With suspenders they drape well and are warm enough in the winter. I'm looking forward to wearing them in warm weather. The herringbone weave looks great and adds a bit more flare to them.

"George" brand trousers. I have two pairs of these. You can read what I have to say about them here:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=24797&highlight=george+trousers

Georgetrousers.jpg

GeorgeTrousercomparison001.jpg

trouserpattern001.jpg

trouserpattern002.jpg

To summarize, I am very happy with them. Found them at Wal-Mart on clearance for $15 each. Both are cut full with 9" legs at the cuff and 1 1/2" wide cuffs. Very little taper. Drape is very good. Fabrics differ but are good as are the patterns and weaves. Fabric is medium- to light-weight. Belt loops but no suspender buttons.

Grade-
A-

Let's see yours. :)

tylerevansokay

One of the Regulars
I love the George brand. Top notch pants on a student budget. Finally pants I can afford to buy more than one pair of and that actually fit decently!:)

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
trou001.jpg

I have the same problem with a linen suit - the pocket sacks show through. In fact, I had to buy some pairs of white pants for the suit.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
I have the same problem with a linen suit - the pocket sacks show through. In fact, I had to buy some pairs of white pants for the suit.

That's one of the major problems with the pair shown. I thought about putting my own lining into those but decided to just wear white boxers. :D
Guess I'll have to put up with the pockets showing through.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
At times when you wear a jacket, the (th)underwear and even the pockets will be out of the optical range.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Shaul-Ike Cohen said:
At times when you wear a jacket, the (th)underwear and even the pockets will be out of the optical range.

True, though at times I like to wear shorter jackets for that 1920s look. But I'm sure it won't really be that much of an issue. A showing pocket sack is nothing compared the style problems of the mainstream world today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff