Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modest clothing sites as a resource for vintage inspired

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
Does anyone look at them? I like long skirts in general because they appeal to fashion sense, but I was looking at these sites for religious ladies because I feel they're really the only places to find ankle-length twill skirts with pockets. I want one for work because it would be cooler than my usual chinos, and it has to cover at least 3/4 of my leg for safety reasons.

Anyway, I was browsing dresses and whatnot and found some really cute things that reminded me of the '40s. I was surprised. Unfortunately none of them had pants--I want palazzo pants and sailor pants--but as a skirt/blouse/dress resource they aren't a bad idea.

St. Louis

Practically Family
Yes, I agree, there's something really appealing about those sites, and I've found some good sources for patterns, hair pins, and the like. But I have to admit, I sure couldn't live the life. I'm a retrograde lady in many ways, but ... !

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
Yes, I am a christian, but I only refuse to cut my hair for aesthetic reasons. Have you seen any advice on hair pins for really heavy hair? I have so much of it, and I do like a bun and finger waves sometimes. I keep having to fiddle with it, which annoys me. I find it hard to do vintage long hair, but I have a goal of growing it really long.

St. Louis

Practically Family
For long hair, I recommend those three-inch long bobbie pins, more than the U-shaped hairpins. Some of the modest clothing sites sell the straight (not wavy) hairpins to people who do authentic 19th century reenacting. The straight hair pins are made by various sellers like Mennonite Maidens and similar. I like the ones that are shaped more like bobbie pins (try a brand called Marianna.)

By the way, just to reassure you, I wasn't referring to the religious aspects, but rather the subordinate roles for women. I suppose there's a way to interpret that as a religious tenet, so it's not for me to criticize -- I'm only commenting that I couldn't adapt to that way of life.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
For longer hair, I always used the straight metal curler bobby pins. Goodie has them, I believe. They worked wonders on my hair when it was long (I used to be able to sit on it, and not just the edge). The long curler pins allowed me to wear my hair in things like victory roles and braided up-dos.

The pins (I looked them up) are 3 inches in length. If you search "Goodie 3-inch bobby pins" you'll find what I mean. :)

Last edited:

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
St. Louis, I gotcha. Yeah, me neither. Well, not to that degree. I'd rather love not working outside the home, though, but that's because I work retail, which is like being in junior high. That's a whole other thread, I guess.

I have tried roller pins. They hurt. They are 2 inches. I just googled 3-inch pins and it shows the 2-inchers. huh I'll go to Sally Beauty and ask. I also tried Good Grips, or whatever those plastic pins are called. Hair spits them out. Hair sticks work very well for me, but they aren't Golden Era. They're more...exotic or bohemian. I have some 7-inchers, so they show up. I have two 4-inchers that hide a bit better, but are still obvious.

Hair you could sit on? Classic length. I don't know if I'll ever get there! I wonder what longhairs really did back in the '30s? Finger waves and a bun, I guess.

Last edited:

swanson_eyes

Practically Family
Oh, yeah, have those. I use them for pin curls. They won't hold a bun up. Yeah, my hair is that thick. I know it's a blessing, but sometimes....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff