Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modified Stetson Chatham, black, size 7 3/4 for sale

Splitcoil

One of the Regulars
Studies have shown that while pimping is not easy, it is most assuredly necessary. And for those times when you are doing what it necessary, it helps to have the proper headgear. (If you're going to argue with that, you came to the wrong website, brother.)

This is a late-1990s-to-early-2000s Stetson Chatham which I had worked over by Alexander Conley at Conley Hats in Seattle a few years ago. The brim has been cut down to 2" all around and bound in black ribbon in Mr. Conley's method, which you can see in the photos. This method, which looks great in black-on-black, provides a very nice tension around the brim, rendering it the best behaved snap brim I've ever owned. It's never out of proper shape.

He also replaced the ribbon with a wide (1 3/4") ribbon in what I'd call silver-gray and added a wind trolley. It is a very sharp hat indeed, if you don't mind making a little bit of a statement just by showing up. It's a 4" crown (measured to the crease in back), and the taper, ribbon, and brim width all add up to very pleasing proportions.

The hat is in excellent condition. There are no stains, moth bites, funky smells, demonic possessions, or pending gypsy curses on this hat. It's in a non-smoking household, and while we do have a cat, I have never allowed him to wear the hat (boundaries, man). This hat dates from back when I was a fully accredited crimefighter, and I wore it while protecting the weak and punishing the wicked, so there's got to be some good karma stored up in it.

I found a great, vintage Stetson in black which I find is the only black hat I wear anymore, so this one's moving on to a new owner. With all the labor I paid to go into it (ever paid to have a brim bound? I won't do it again), I have way more invested in this hat than anyone should ever have in a modern Stetson, but I offer it here for the reasonable sum of $80, shipped in CONUS. If you're not in CONUS, drop me a line and we can discuss shipping.

I would consider trades for the right hat in 7 3/8, as a buddy of mine in that size is getting into fedoras and I owe him a Christmas/birthday/Kwanzaa gift anyway. Contact me with any such offers.

IMG_0337_zps8b1576d4.jpg

IMG_0338_zpscb39347b.jpg

IMG_0339_zps30079d06.jpg

IMG_0340_zpsad8133b4.jpg

IMG_0341_zps38e8c74e.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points