Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mom's World

certainlyred

New in Town
I don't know if anyone else follows flickr.com photo sets, but I found this one two days ago and derived endless inspiration from it: http://flickr.com/photos/joeyharrison/sets/1071542/

It's a set of photos taken by a woman during the late 40's and early 50's. Some of the everyday shots are fantastic! Not to mention the commentary provided with each and every photo. It's a great "snapshot" (pardon my pun...) of daily life in the good old days.

MaryDeluxe

Practically Family
I LOVE the pictures he posts regarding his Mother! What a very cool lady she is and she tells the best stories about her pictures. She has lead a very interesting life. I have always enjoyed reading her stories! :)

leaette

A-List Customer
wow! what a fantastic find. lucky for that guy to have such a priceless set of pictures.
i wish i had something like that for my family.

16_sparrows

Vendor
I just discovered this flickr set a few days ago and I amazed at her memory! The shots are fantastic and I love that the son is putting this all together.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Thanks for sharing the link. It's amazing! I love the pic of them sitting at the table doing their taxes. You see mom wearing a pony tail and bobby socks with loafers. It shows that not everyone wore high heels and perfectly coifed hair every day.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Wow. This is simply wonderful. I love all the details she shares - and yes, what an amazing memory.

Thanks for sharing!

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
This is one of the most awesome "vintage" finds ever! Thank you Certainlyred!!
I'm burning my eyes out devouring the pics! And the mother still posts, as "Chalet". Incredible.

Now I don't feel so bad about being camera crazy. I take pics of everything and my husband makes fun of me!

I couldn't believe they even had Joey's circumcision, lol! :eek:
Her stories are wonderful. Did you all read about their wedding night? ;)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/joeyharrison/378088038/in/set-1071542/
I bet she never knew she'd be able to share her life with so many people. How amazing.
Nikki

nyx

One of the Regulars
The photos were fantastic and his mother was so pretty! But can I say, that I'm not even a boy and that circumcision shot gave me the heebie jeebies :eek:

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
I had a great time going through this last night. Thanks so much for sharing! I hope to get through the rest later today, after work (I'm a radio DJ) and after all the housewifely duties are done. I giggled too at the, "Appropriate events ensued," line. In fact, it made me smile again this morning. lol

The work they did on that apartment building was wonderful, too! The stairway turned out so lovely, and all the built-ins... *sigh*

Lillemor

One Too Many
It is unusual documentary and not everyone from the same period would've been able to do the same because many people simply didn't have their photos taken often enough. I've seen plenty of "casual" family albums where the photos pre-60s were very staged and formal and you wonder what the people were really like.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
This is great, only one problem - not fair for you ladies to keep these to yourseles in the Powder Room!

Interesting, these pics were taken mostly in/around Grand Rapids, MI. It's rare to see old photos of Michigan taken outside Detroit. I wonder where the "Southern Barbeque Nightclub" was located.

-Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112