Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Morning Coat Alterations??

the_imperialist

One of the Regulars
Esteemed gentlemen of the lounge,

I have recently come into the possession of a vintage morning coat, it fits just right bar the waist (which is unusual considering my girth...), now my question is, is it wise to have it altered considering the amount (approx 4.5 inches) and the relative complexity of a morning coat's construction. Any advice would be appreciated (especially the venerable Orgetorix whom seems to have much expetise containg said garments.)

Regards,
the imperialist

Jovan

Suspended
Pictures? :)

I don't think that's too much to take off; I've had a coat altered at the waist that must have about that much taken in. I'll let the more experienced gents take over from here, though.

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
My morning coat didn't need that much taken in, so I don't know for sure if it's possible or not. Adding waist suppression usually isn't a difficult job, though if it needs a lot taken in sometimes the alteration has to go up into the armhole as well. My advice is to take it to the best tailor in your area, preferably one who is old or used to dealing with older styles. If there are any ballroom dancers in your community, you might find out who they go to for their costumes--these tailors are often familiar with tailcoats and other unusual methods of construction.

Do you have a picture of you wearing the coat?

Micawber

A-List Customer
With a morning coat you have the added complication of the waist seam and paneled back. I have taken in and let out morning and frock coats, anything is possible, but as has already been said finding someone with the skill to do it and being able to do on a economic basis is the key.

the_imperialist

One of the Regulars
Thank you sirs for your advice, next week I am starting university so I can poke around looking for a good tailor and see if it is prudent to carry on through. Meanwhile here's a pic, despite it having a proper tailored waist its size means the nice straight boxy rental look....

morningcoat01.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko