Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most Comfortable A-2 Styles

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 16736

Hi, I'm narrowing down my choices for a Goodwear A-2 and I want a style that will feel good on me and be comfortable to wear. John C. recommended the Star Sportswear, but I'm not crazy about the look (no collar stand). My favorite is the Werber, but they are a little constrictive. My best compromise right now is the Perry Sportswear which retains some of the look of the Werber with a more modern cut. Has anybody worn the Perry and can they compare it to other A-2s? Can you suggest any contract for wearability and look? I prefer a collar stand. Thank you very much.

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Much depends on your body shape. I know the no-name 27753 contract has large sleeves and shoulders and is a comfortable fit for the larger guy. I have a GW RW 18091 which is made of goatskin like all the originals from this 1941 contract. The jacket is very comfortable and has a collar stand. It's fit is that of a wartime 44.

001-53.jpg

003-64.jpg

FRASER_NASH

One of the Regulars
The bodyshape question is the crux. A-2's do tend to look best on the less portly guys :) Obama was built for an A-2, we just need to sort him out with a good one! Posting a pic of yourself would be helpful :)

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Hi Joel,
I have a couple of original Perry Sportswear A-2s (both sized 44) in horsehide and goatskin; my favourite contracts.
In the right size (I'm a modern 42 and the wartime 44 fits well), they are both extremely comfortable - well cut in the shoulder with well sized armholes, trim forearms and not too tapered at the waist (although not as baggy as a SAT).
I know that the collar stand doesn't go down well with some people, but I think that it's a smart construction.
The smaller details - scalloped pocket flaps, rounded collar points, Conmar zipper and narrow epaulettes all add to the appeal in my opinion.
For me, the goatskin (23377) works best - it's thinner and drapes well, but the collar does stand a little taller than the horsehide contract (42-16175-P).
Good luck with that...
Best
Ian

p.s. John Chapman has stopped taking orders for the time being - owing to the popularity of his excellent products (I have previously had a GW Doniger) his order book is full to bursting with corresponding long wait times.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 16736

Thanks for those helpful replies. I am a tall fellow (6'2"), 190 pounds and a modern size 42L. Sounds like I'm a similar size to Dr. H and the Perry would be a nice fit. I prefer the look of the Perry. I already ordered with John and now we're going back and forth about the right contract. He sent me a Werber and the sleeves kept coming up on my arms. Dr. H, do the Perrys "pull up" that way? What color are your Perrys? John's dull aniline russet is a very close copy of an original. Thank you.

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Hi Joel, you've seen my other post so you know the colours. I'm a tad shorter than you - 5'9" but these fit well.
The sleeves don't ride up if shoulder chest fit is good.
Inevitably, I'd like a mix: colour of the HH jacket/knits, length and weight/drape of the GS, size/height of the GS collar...never satisfied!
Cheers - hope this helps with your Perry details don't forget the offset hanger!
Ian

D

Deleted member 16736

Thanks, yes, that does help. I think the Perry is best for me. I'm getting it in the dull russet aniline. It's a thick, mottled hide that looks just John's original (sans aging).

What is the offset hanger?

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Thanks, yes, that does help. I think the Perry is best for me. I'm getting it in the dull russet aniline. It's a thick, mottled hide that looks just John's original (sans aging).

What is the offset hanger?

Sounds like a good choice, looking forward to seeing it.
The leather hanging strap is commonly (very) off centre in Perry A-2s, see my last image.
Cheers
Ian

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff