Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Most overrated movies?

I tell you, I don't have to think long!

-Godfather, Part II.

It still just bores me, equally, how often I would watch it. To me, it got too much of an rehash of Part I. Surely, the endscene and the peak of Michael Corleones life-drama is good. But, the whole movie is too superficial to me. Part I got the atmosphere and maybe Part III, too. But Part II feels cold to me.

I tell you, I don't have to think long!

-Godfather, Part II.

It still just bores me, equally, how often I would watch it. To me, it got too much of an rehash of Part I. Surely, the endscene and the peak of Michael Corleones life-drama is good. But, the whole movie is too superficial to me. Part I got the atmosphere and maybe Part III, too. But Part II feels cold to me.

I prefer Part II to the first iteration. It isn't as lush, but I find the situations more credible, and the characters better developed and more compelling. And some of the performances are just splendid, particularly those of John Cazale (Fredo), Lee Strasberg (Hyman Roth) and G.D. Spradlin (Senator Geary).

Over here In the states a cable TV old-movie channel -- TCM -- played "The Godfather" and "Godfather Part II" back-to-back a couple of times yesterday. Because, you know, nothing says "happy holidays" quite like gangster stories.

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Cleopatra:
It achieved notoriety during its production for its massive cost overruns and production troubles, which included changes in director and cast, a change of filming locale, sets that had to be constructed twice, lack of a firm shooting script, and personal scandal around co-stars Taylor and Burton. It was the most expensive film ever made up to that point and almost bankrupted 20th Century-Fox.
It was the highest-grossing film of 1963, earning box-office of $57.7 million in the United States, yet lost money due to its production and marketing costs of $44 million, making it the only film ever to be the highest-grossing film of the year to run at a loss. Whilst in the same year, the British movie, Tom Jones, was a success both critically and at the box-office. At the 36th Academy Awards, It was nominated for ten Oscars, winning four: Best Picture, Best Director for Richardson, Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Original Score. It also won two Golden Globe Awards including Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy, and three BAFTA Awards including Best Film and Best British Film.
On the contrary to Cleopatra,the film, Tom Jones, was financially successful, and came third in British box office receipts in 1963, and the 4th most popular in the United States. Produced on a budget of $1 million, earning $16 million in rentals in North America and $4 million in markets other than the UK and US.

HanauMan

Practically Family
All the Harry Potter films and all of those Hobbit movies.

While we're at it, I would add all the Star War films that followed on from the first (or IV). Jar Jar, really? And am I the only one who would love to stuff Yoda down a toilet? Haven't seen the new one so I'll hold judgement on it until I do.

All the Harry Potter films and all of those Hobbit movies.

While we're at it, I would add all the Star War films that followed on from the first (or IV). Jar Jar, really? And am I the only one who would love to stuff Yoda down a toilet? Haven't seen the new one so I'll hold judgement on it until I do.

I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone over the age of 12 has any interest in anything Star Wars. I saw the original when I was a kid, and sure it was fun for a 10 year old, but outgrew it pretty much right after that.

As for really bad movies, I'll add anything with Brad Pitt, other than Inglorious Basterds. Seriously, has there been a worse actor in the 100 years than Pitt?

Meryl TE="HudsonHawk, post: 2348708, member: 29415"]I cannot for the life of me understand why anyone over the age of 12 has any interest in anything Star Wars. I saw the original when I was a kid, and sure it was fun for a 10 year old, but outgrew it pretty much right after that.

As for really bad movies, I'll add anything with Brad Pitt, other than Inglorious Basterds. Seriously, has there been a worse actor in the 100 years than Pitt?[/QUOTE]
Meryl Streep?

"The Big Sleep." Boy, they named that one right.

For years, I appreciated its style, but had no (insert rude word here) idea what was going on in the movie. Then I read the book and now I enjoy the movie more, but still find it hard to follow unless I think back to the book. That said, the bookstore scene is one of my favorite "pick up" scenes in any movie.

MikeKardec

One Too Many
For years, I appreciated its style, but had no (insert rude word here) idea what was going on in the movie. Then I read the book and now I enjoy the movie more, but still find it hard to follow unless I think back to the book. That said, the bookstore scene is one of my favorite "pick up" scenes in any movie.

If I remember correctly even when they were making it no one really had all the ins and outs of the plot worked out. I'm not sure the book was much better but at least you could go back and forth over it to figure out what it actually said. Fiction writers are given a HUGE favor by the imagination of the reader doing a great deal of the work ... it's amazing what different people will take away from what is literally a page of code (words and letters) because it is so abstract.

I have always loved TBS and many of the other Noir films and Hard Boiled novels but difficulties understanding the plots are fairly common. Unlike the "who done it" style Mystery where all is solved cleanly, "Noir Boiled" entertainment stresses a corruption that can never be "solved." It's like literature's vision of Original Sin. Amazing that it took until the 20th Century to emerge and amazing that it was so centered on the American West Coast.

Many of the Chandler novels were conglomerations of his short stories cut and pasted together rather than plots designed from the ground up. I'm kind of surprised that he made them work as well as they did.

MikeKardec

One Too Many
Many of the Bogart starring Warner's films were oddly old fashioned and play-like. I'm sure they did this to save money, Warner's has always been one of the most conservative studios financially. Obviously, Casablanca actually was a play, but consider also Key Largo, To Have and Have Not; neither ventures much farther than sets that might have been used on stage. The Big Sleep and The Maltese Falcon get out on the street a bit more. They allow us to see the most inexpensive edge of what were in the imagination possibly bigger, more exciting, Crime and Adventure stories.

The Maltese Falcon in particular is amazingly efficient in that it shows you just enough of a sprawling International Thriller to get the story. There was even a morally compromised protagonist who is the unseen character in the story, Floyd Thursby. TMF is like the last act of something else entirely.

Though they were pretty popular, these films are very dated even at the time they were made. It was almost as if they used the rules of early sound production (do it like a play) to keep costs down. Compared to something like The Lady From Shanghai, the style of film making is pretty conservative. Where at least TMF is not conservative is in it's portrayal of sexual content. The presentation of homosexuality and whatever is up with Bridget O'Shaughnessy was fairly ground breaking in a major studio film.

Nobert

Practically Family
I've pretty much got to agree with the Star Wars assessment. A great kid's sci-fi, and
a wonderfully designed milieu, but you'd think that George Lucas was Michealangelo the way fans talk about it.

American Beauty. His current non grata status aside, I always liked Kevin Spacey and was looking forward to seeing him in a breakout leading role. But the whole movie felt weak and flaccid somehow, I don't know why people fell over themselves about it.
To some extent, that was also true of Lost in Translation, although I allow I may just not have watched it in a receptive mood. It seemed so crammed with poignant, meaningful moments that I couldn't tell what was going on.

Last edited:
Le Mans. Sure it has Steve McQueen and is considered a paragon of technical accuracy but it's a literal snoozefest. I've tried watching it at least four times and have yet to stay awake for the whole thing.

I've tried to enjoy this and "Grand Prix -" and the racing sequences are well shot for their day - but yes, they are boring movies.

"Forrest Gump" gets my vote for most overrated movie. I can't stand it. I found it boring and stupid. I sat through it once in the theater as it got such incredible reviews and hated it.

P.S., Why is this thread here and not in the "Moving Picture" section and don't we already have a bash over-rated movies thread or something like it?

Le Mans. Sure it has Steve McQueen and is considered a paragon of technical accuracy but it's a literal snoozefest. I've tried watching it at least four times and have yet to stay awake for the whole thing.

It seems as if they couldn't decide whether to make a documentary or a movie. The result being that Le Mans is a hybrid with the story so hidden behind the documentary that it's practically invisible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider