Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moths Got My Topcoat

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
A nice, rather shapeless gray herringbone overcoat came from the closet with two dime-sized holes right in the front by the buttons. The coat is mid 1950's and fits me well (got it twenty years ago, inherited from the orginal owner). The collar has become partially detached, and I can stitch that back on easily. But.
Is there a workable fix for the moth holes? I really don't see any place inconspicuous from which one could snip a patch.
Do I have to cut it up for nice gray herringbone pillows?
It's rather like these. Slash pockets, buttons visible, no belt. It's like the one on the right with the cuff trim/button, but with visible buttons on the front plaquet:

coat.jpg

Nick Charles

Practically Family
Is there an inside pocket

If there is an inside pocket you might be able to get a piece from the finished top of it. I had to do that for a canvas coat I got battery acid on, or maybe there is enough fabric in the hem of the vent. Good luck.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Scott-
You could always take a smidge off the length/hem... ahem...

I had a vintage suit which had had holes in the trousers repaired 'invisibly'.
If I looked close, I could see that the holes had been kind of darned and the pattern- kind of embroidered to match. There must be a fix- patch the holes from behind and a bit of deft hand sewing on the front side..?

B
T

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points